PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine Belt Tensioner SNAFU

David_Jennings
10-13-2003, 15:47
In a burst of responsible ownership, I attempted to replace my serpentine belt on my 99 K2500 6.5 before it really needed replacing. It took two minutes to remove, and five hours (so far) to replace. The problem is with the tensioner itself: the bolt stripped. I can't see how they don't all strip, what with instructions to use a breaker bar on a 13mm bolt tapped into aluminum. I tried through-bolting with a longer bolt, but I stripped the nut I put on the other side before I could get it tight enough to hold. The whole design seems flawed: why design something that small that must be turned counter-clockwise with that much leverage? Still, when I called a local mechanic, he said he had never seen one strip out like mine. Any adivce on this weak link? Even with a new part, I can't see it holding up. Thanks.

catmandoo
10-13-2003, 17:47
its one of those things that theoretically shouldn't work but does.

ucdavis
10-13-2003, 19:42
Mine has a neat square hole in the casting for a 1/2" square drive from a ratchet or breaker bar. Didn't need to put a socket on the nut. Maybe your's is different or possibly even an aftermarket unit?

catmandoo
10-14-2003, 05:04
mine didn't have the 1/2 lug either just had to turn the bolt.

David_Jennings
10-17-2003, 16:33
You nailed it. Mine did have the insert. But read my defense regarding Haynes. Not my proudest moment with a wrench, though. Thanks.