PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filters?

LEE BROWN
03-09-2007, 17:42
What are the best fuel filters for Duramax? I can get a deal on Baldwin. Are they good? Should any brand filter affect warranty coverage?

DickWells
03-09-2007, 20:43
I use Baldwin exclusively, ever since I read an article by Dr. Lee, which showed the results of a series of tests that he did on a bunch of oil filters.
After I went to Baldwin oil filters, I found that one of them was worth at least two Frams.
If m not mistaken, someone in the DP published a thread that said that Baldwin is furnishing GM with their OEM filters. Don't quote me, just my recolection.
Dick Wells:)

DmaxMaverick
03-09-2007, 21:27
ALL Duramax fuel filters are made by Parker/Racor, regardless of the brand name. Even Fram, although they don't get a dime of my cash.

Oil filters are different, and are supplied by various manufacturers. The OEM filter is supplied by Champion Labs, as is the Delco brand and a couple others. Fram is the only oil filter I'd say no to. You never know when they will start to make their own junk, if they haven't already. Baldwin filters are excellent, and comparible to Wix (same as Napa Gold).

TheJDMan
03-10-2007, 09:50
The original question was asking about fuel filters. Are the Baldwin filters you use fuel or oil? What is the PN of the Baldwin filter?

DickWells
03-13-2007, 20:17
:) I have used both oil and fuel filters by Baldwin. Sorry, can't tell you the part number for the fuel. All I can say is, that the fuel filters looked identical with the OEM filters that I pulled out. I can't believe that their fuel filters would be of less quality than their oil filters, and those are VERY good.
I get my Baldwin filters at a truck equipement supply house, and all I ever do, is ask for the filter for whatever application I need it for. They've never given me the wrong one, yet.
I'm not carrying an extra fuel filter at the moment (not good), so I can't check the part number for you.
Good luck.
Dick Wells:)

FBJR
03-14-2007, 13:44
Cool, I use the Napa Golds and was about to post asking for quality.

DmaxMaverick
03-14-2007, 14:04
Cool, I use the Napa Golds and was about to post asking for quality.
The part #'s are even the same (almost):

Oil
57202 (Wix)
7202 (N-G)

Fuel
33910 (Wix)
3910 (N-G)

I don't know who makes Napa's regular line, but they are not the same. The only other oil filter Napa lists online is K&N, and I don't know who makes their filters. They get 2$ more for the K&N oil filter. The Napa Gold fuel filter is $16 more than I pay for Wix. They are both the same, and made/supplied by Parker/Racor.

Duramaster
03-14-2007, 19:05
Just to add my two cents.............. Be careful what you use when it comes to a warranty situation. The "CORRECT" filter to use is the AC Delco TP 1298B. :cool:

DmaxMaverick
03-14-2007, 20:30
Just to add my two cents.............. Be careful what you use when it comes to a warranty situation. The "CORRECT" filter to use is the AC Delco TP 1298B. :cool:

Are you saying that GM will deny a warranty claim because the ACD filter isn't used? What supposedely happens to the engine if another filter brand is used? Does this apply to all filters (oil, tranny, air), or just fuel? Who manufactures the ACD fuel filter? What's the bulletin or doc number stating this?

Duramaster
03-14-2007, 21:54
What I am saying is that some dealers are/ can and will be sticklers about the fuel system warranty on the DMAX especially when it comes a time when the customer may request some assistance from the "GENERAL" and the dealer may not wish to warrant the repair because of "BRAND X" filter being used. The GENERAL is already being forced to extend the warranty to 7 years 200,000 miles on the injectors only (LB7). I'm sure that some dealers will look for any way to get out of having to warrant the repair. Plus the fact that the job only pays 8 hours on a pickup application.;)

DmaxMaverick
03-14-2007, 22:16
I agree. Some dealers can be a bit anal.

Problem is, unless GM supplies every fuel filter, for free, they can't require brand X not be used. As long as the filter meets GM's published standard, they won't have a leg to stand on. Especially with the fuel filters, since there is only one manufacturer, making all of the filters, regardless of the label.

Duramaster
03-14-2007, 22:31
The last spec that I heard is that the TP 1298B is a 5 micron filter. The original filter (TP1298) was a 20 micron filter.

DmaxMaverick
03-14-2007, 22:56
The latest, upgraded filter is dual media. Meaning, there are two rows of media instead of one, like in the orginal. Last word I have is the media is the same, just doubled. If you are seeing a more frequent need for changes, that's the reason. The lower part of the canister was extended as well, apparently to offer a greater chance to trap sediment and water.

larryh1
03-16-2007, 10:30
Master, I have heard to change the fuel filter every time I change the oil, and I have hear to change it every other time. Obviously every time would be best, but it that necessary? Also, should I add a second fuel filter (as some recommend) if I change the fuel filter frequently.

thanks
Larry

WILLYD-MAX
03-16-2007, 13:05
I won't go more than 10,000 miles on a fuel filter. I have cut many open and they are usually used up by then. I also use a Filtermag on mine and its amazing what is stuck to the side when I cut it open. I have a Kennedy diesel Mega on my truck and Dad's truck and I don't regret it .

Duramaster
03-19-2007, 21:19
;)If I could afford a DMAX TRUCK............. I would change the fuel filter every 10,000 miles at the MOST! The owners manual states 15K. Sorry, NOWAY! I have occasionally looked for the inline magnetic filters when the 6.5 engines were failing left and right, but never got anywhere. I would be carefull when adding an additional filter though. You might end up with too much of a restriction with two filters in place.

I had a truck in the shop today that had waterr in the fuel (SUSPENDED WATER) so in this case it wouldn't matter........anyway, I thought it would be a good idea if GM would add an additional FUEL WATER SEPARATOR in line. How hard could that be and how much more would it cost in production. The new G-VANS are using two filters now, why not the trucks?;)

Kennedy
03-20-2007, 08:11
Fuel filters are no longer produced by the same mfr. There are at least 3 maybe 4 variants out there now.

We carry the Baldwin units listed by application at a fair price. No need to hunt for part numbers etc.

Filter change intervals will be dictated by filter restriction. I had one plug up tight on my 2007 with 1200 miles on it. I Veryified my restriction was 12" hg with this:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/detail.cfm?ID=289

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/images/Dmax-fuel-filter-rest1.gif

Duramaster
03-21-2007, 20:16
"LIFT PUMP"?:confused:

DickWells
03-21-2007, 21:03
:) I'll bet a lift pump is one of the first things John puts in any truck!
DW

jbplock
03-22-2007, 02:58
"LIFT PUMP"?:confused:

Many of us have added lift pumps ... here's a few examples ...

Kennedy Diesel - Lift Pumps (http://www.kennedydiesel.com/categoryresults3.cfm?Category=3&SubCategory=157&SubCategory2=125)

Lift Pump with Pre-Filter (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=8791)

DIY Pre/Post Fuel Filter and Lift Pump? (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=26641)

A forum search on "lift pump" will turn up more ...

:)

Kennedy
03-22-2007, 08:44
The original fuel filters on the LB7 would go WAY longer than the required service interval and not show signs of restriction. The filter was redesigned 3 or 4 times now. First it was lengthened, but the longer unit wouldn't fit the LB7. Then they got smart and made a std LB7 length unit with dual layer media to help combat dirt getting nasty with the injectors. Then they lengthened the media internally and necked down the can to get increased service life. We've seen these dual layer media units load up in very short order. Some in 3-5K. I had one load in 1200 miles on my LBZ. I guess this proves that the newer filters are actualy doing something now...

The Dmax fuel system carries a lot of "air" that accumulates in the filter(s) and minimizes their effectiveness. Adding a bit of supply psi keeps the fuel liquid thereby using all of the area of the filter at a much lower flow rate per square inch of media. Responsiveness also improves and some have seen minor mpg gains. Additionally, we see trucks requiring premature filter changes due to dirty fuel and restricted fuel filters. Adding a lift supply can help you get a longer service life out of your filters. Secondary filtration is still a necessity IMHO to further filter the fuel. The LLY and LBZ are far more sensitive to restricted filters and the 4500's are terrible from what I've been seeing.

Worth noting: a 5 micron absoulte filter does NOT stop all 5 micron particles or even all 10 micron particles. It takes multiple passes to acheive its 9x.x% efficiency rating.