PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable 1990 Suburban Upper Ball Joint?

darkroad
03-09-2007, 19:38
Hi

I just pulled my drivers side hub off to replace the upper and lower ball joints. I noticed that the upper looked different than I was accustomed to. After getting it out I saw that it didn't have the usual 0 degree threaded insert but instead had a large hex headed unit that then went down to about 3/4 or 7/8 and was straight sided but the center hole was offset. I assume that this would let you adjust the upper ball joint by turning the nut portion. The ears welded onto the axle tube are not threaded but are bored to match the insert. I thought maybe it was an aftermarker installed kit but the usual threaded sleeve is larger than the bore so they would have had to weld up the threaded part and rebore it and I don't think they would go to that much trouble. Have any of you run into this before? I looked at the local auto parts stores web pages and a few do list a couple of special ball joints that came out on certain suburbans but none have any pictures of it. Is it a dealer item?

One of the counter guys at the local Advance Auto used to work at an alignment shop and said he had run into a couple of these but he thought they were on a certain year Dodge and gave you a plus or minus 1 1/2 degrees adjustment. I did notice in the TRW book that the usual upper ball joint fits just about all brands at one time or another.

This v2500 suburban came from NY state and was ordered with about every available option you could get. It had a different interior than I have seen and had three leaf springs up front. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Darkroad