PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 TD Opinions

southerncowboy
03-10-2007, 15:47
Hello. I'm new to this site, but not to diesels. I've owned 4 Dodge Cummins rigs, but I kept getting burned with the Dodge part of the truck. Anyway, I'm looking for a new diesel. I like the Chevy, but was wondering about the 6.5. Is it reliable and are there any performance parts for these motors? How does the Chevy automatic hold to up? Sorry for all the dumb questions. I've found a 94 3500 ext. cab. dually for $4700. The add says that it "needs starter work". I guess just a started rebuild. Does that sound like a good deal? P.S.- I'm in college for Diesel Technology, so working on the truck is no problem. Thanks in advance! Jim

6.5 Detroit Diesel
03-10-2007, 20:46
Hmm, I think that the "93 6.5 TD is the best year. I may be a little biased cause I own one:D but from one point, there is a lot less that can go wrong electronically.

soulman67
03-11-2007, 17:10
I would check the starter bolts and make sure one isn't broke off. As far as the 4L80E goes its a great tranny and it will hold up to a lot of abuse. Look around the forums for pefomance mods. The chevy will ride and drive like a cadillac compared to a dodge.

baker2acre
03-12-2007, 07:59
Welcome Southerncowboy!!!

I'm a new (Oct.'06) 6.5TD owner coming from a '93 Dodge w/Cummins. I must say that I am very impressed with not only the truck, but with the 6.5 as well. I must admit that the Cummins did offer a lot of "big rig" features... but my wife hated the "big rig" ride and sound. The Chevy's fit & finish is on an entirely different level than the Dodge's and my wife does not hear my morning startups!! The 6.5's more "refined" manners is growing on me too! :D

As far as perfomance, my 6.5 has more ponies than the '93 cummins does (stock) at 190hp vs. 160hp. Torque is only 385 vs the Cummins 400lb/ft but I have 4.10's in the chevy vs. the Dodges 3.4's. I have yet to really test the engine... but I don't plan to either. :p

The 6.5 does have some issues that would need addressing that makes it less resistant to "abuse." The fuel filter is small on a 6.5 compared to the cummins and is more susceptible to crap fuels... the cooling system is a bit under powered and there's no intercooler making heavy towing more work for the driver (one eye on the road the other nervous one on the gauges...). However, each of these can be corrected and make for a reliable worker. As a testiment of good faith... my dodge only has 145,000 miles.... the Chevy has over 230,000 and I drive it every day and am planning on selling the Dodge. :D

robertb6963
03-13-2007, 21:01
Welcome!!!

I bought my first 6.5TD in Janurary, I like the rpm range and smooth ride but I just don't think it can take much abuse unlike the Cummins. If your planning on getting tons of power out of it, I think you may find it easier said than done! I can't find very many performance parts for the truck. SS Diesel Supply has some alright stuff like injectors and chips but not much in the way of over 250hp. But good luck anyways!

Robert