PDA

View Full Version : Muffler myth...cherry bomb/glasspack will fill with soot?

AJMBLAZER
03-11-2007, 11:33
Okay, I heard this on another site and thought I'd ask you guys.

The back story is I'm a little bit of rust away from having to replace at least one of the stock type mufflers on my CUCV. So I went out and got two 24" Cherry Bombs that have the perfect inlet and outlet size as well as angle to slip in place of the stock mufflers. All seemed good so far, especially the $42 price.

Now someone on another forum has told me that glass packs and cherry bombs fill up with soot behind 6.2's and other diesels. They recommended chambered mufflers, ala Flowmasters (aka Slowmasters). However no one seemed to know why the chambered mufflers were a better idea. To my way of thinking the only possible advantage could be more nooks and crannies to fill up thanks to the larger interior space and chambers.

Considering all of the "straight through" muffler makers that have mufflers and systems for diesels that are basically fancy cherry bombs/glasspacks (Banks, Magnaflow, Dynomax, etc) I find this claim hard to believe.

Any truth to it?

6.5 Detroit Diesel
03-11-2007, 13:42
I'm running a Dynomax bomb on mine right not. 4" inlets and exit with 5 1/4 diameter. Absolutely no problems. Yet. :D

Ebrown
03-18-2007, 20:49
AJMBLAZER: Hay do you post over CK5 or Greatlake4x4?

AJMBLAZER
03-18-2007, 21:27
Yep. I'm the one and only.

More Power
03-19-2007, 00:46
Soot probably dampens exhaust noise as well as fiberglass... :D

Jim

AJMBLAZER
03-19-2007, 06:19
Soot probably dampens exhaust noise as well as fiberglass... :D

Jim
...meaning?

Ebrown
03-19-2007, 10:13
I would like to know also.

murphyslaw
03-19-2007, 11:06
he means that the areas in the muffler most likely fill with soot. and with the comment that you might never know cause soot might dampen the noise as much as the fiberglass mat.

SoTxPollock
03-19-2007, 11:08
Back when I used to run them, they just got louder as the fiberglass slowly blew itself out the tailpipe. The change is gradual so you don't really notice it until some blue uniform pull you over for excessive exhaust noise. Who knows maybe the soot will help the fiberglass to stay in place longer if it doesn't cake over and cause a restriction in flow. If so fill it with water and stand on it, just don't do it on your driveway.

More Power
03-19-2007, 13:48
I was being a bit facetious... :D Whether or not it packs with soot is really irrelevant.. I doubt anyone could tell whether there was a change in exhaust note over time. I had a pair of cherry bombish glass packs on the 1982 GMC 6.2 diesel I owned. They were on the truck for about 170,000 miles or so, before I installed the Banks Sidewinder. I didn't notice a change in exhaust noise over time.

Soon after I got the truck (mid 80's), I had a local garage change the fuel filter for me (first & last time someone else did it). They couldn't get the 6.2 to start afterward, so they used a lot of raw diesel fuel dripped down into the intake to get it to start. They eventually got it started... On the drive home that evening, that 6.2 K1500 became one helluva crop duster.... Much of that raw fuel had collected in the glass-packs and caused quite a scene on the 4-lane... :eek:

Jim

AJMBLAZER
03-19-2007, 17:20
Thanks guys, as soon as the ground dries up a bit and I can get it in the garage they're going on.:cool:

t rex 7
04-03-2007, 21:13
I got glasspacks on my 82 C-10, sounds like the school bus going through the hood, love to run it around the block an hour early after the holidays and watch those nervous parents shove the kids out the doors thinking they misssed the bus, lol
Had the C10 since 2004 put over 100K on it havent clogged the mufflers yet.

t rex

AJMBLAZER
04-03-2007, 21:31
Yeah, others told me similar things so I think it's either "my friend's buddy's grandma's postman had one and it did this..." or "this will happen...if you drive it a million miles..."

I put them on last week along with the turn downs instead of the side exit tailpipes. So far so good...except for the fact that since it's a CUCV it has practically no soundproofing in the cab so I can't hear the exhaust over the engine!:p
If I REALLY try I can sorta hear it. Might have to make the wife make a pass with it.:D

wallew
04-04-2007, 10:52
Sounds like you've gotten past the muffler issue. NOW, about the noise in the cab.

I suggest you consider trying a product called 'Fat Mat'. I've used it in a deuce that I sold. I have three rolls waiting for me to do the minor floor rust repair thing before installing it in my M1009 Blazer. Then down goes some jute padding and then a new rubber floor mat. Some pieces cut to fit under the hood and then a hood insulator from LMC Trucks.

THAT should take care of the 'noise in the cab' issue.

Here is the Fat Mat website - http://www.fatmat.com/ - and NO, I don't work for them, I'm just a satisfied customer. They cost WAY LESS than anything Dynamat might offer you.

AJMBLAZER
04-04-2007, 11:15
Eh, I plan on fixing the floorboards and then Rhino Lining the floors. Then MAYBE some sound proofing over the vinyl floormats.

This fatmat stuff water resistant or anything?