PDA

View Full Version : 17" wheels - best backspace???

kburati
03-12-2007, 07:08
I'm ordering new wheels and the ones I want have several backspace options for fit in the front wheel wells with 285 tires:

17x9 with a 4.5" backspace (probably not?)
17x9 with a 4.75" backspace (maybe)
17x8.5 with a 6" backspace (sounds extreme to me)
17x8 with a 4.5" backspace (maybe)

I prefer the wider 17x9 wheels since the tire will probably have the best profile/wear (though recommended is 8.5") and likely smallest overall diameter since a skinnier rim would cause the center to be slightly raised.

American Eagle has a 17x9 with a 5" backspace and these are tons less money but also not the same quality as a forged wheel.

kburati
03-12-2007, 09:53
Also found that this wheel is available in:

17x8 with a 4.5" backspace
16x8 with a 4.5" backspace

Reading old threads on this subject it appears that the ideal backspace for a 16x8 wheel is 4.625" so I assume that would hold true for a 17x8. The 17x9 has a larger backspace but is that a moot point since the wheel is an inch wider to begin with?

More Power
03-13-2007, 15:30
It's the backspacing ratio that's important, regardless of rim width. I don't know what the backspacing is for a stock GM PYO rim, but that ratio of rim width to backspacing should be maintained when buying new wheels to help ensure neutral steering. The idea is to keep the center of the rim centered over the balljoints.

However, going wider will still create more right/left pull in certain sitations, like when on highways with truck tracks worn into the pavement.

Jim