PDA

View Full Version : Wondering......

Jolie
10-13-2003, 15:59
Anyone have any idea what a 94 K3500 reg cab 4x4 6.5L TD, manual trans with L, 4.10 rear end would be rated to tow?

In other words are we going to send this poor truck to an early grave by pulling a 12,000 lb trailer, bumper pull, not GN?

Also, any clues as to the hp/torque rating? Its vin *F* if that makes any difference.

After the $4k we've dropped into the old girl she's running better than ever.

patrick m.
10-13-2003, 16:07
190 HP/ 380lbs.ft max.

I believe 12k on the bumper is a little heavy :D

i would convert.

But 12k sould be no problem for you, just take it easy, and all will be fine. several people here talk about pulling that much and more.

Jolie
10-13-2003, 16:38
Thanks for the info, I do have to say this 94 does seem more powerful than the 96 6.5L TD we used to own....gets better fuel economy too.

The trailer we bought is a 2003 Goertzen 18' car/bobcat trailer, has a GVWR of 12,168 lbs.

We used to have one just like it a couple years ago and had no trouble hauling it with our Dodge V10.....except for the weak tranny in the Dodge.

We couldn't put a 5th wheel hitch in our Chevy unless we replaced the bed, as it is right now it has no strength left in the bottom of the bed....which at the moment is a sheet of plywood.

StephenA
10-14-2003, 05:20
Get a used 20k pullrite hitch. It bolts right behind the rear axle & pivots from there, so it handles like a fifth wheel.

DBlake
10-14-2003, 09:02
Jolie,
I think the Manufacture's Combined Vehicle Maximum Weight for 4.10 gears was 14,500lbs. Subtacting about 6K lbs for an empty truck with fuel leaves 8.5K. Now many folks on this site have successfully pulled much more than that but probably not over 7k-9kft passes I regularly transverse. Also, there may be an insurance issue should you have a claim when exceeding the Manufacturor's limits. I tow a max of 7.5K with my lightweight 5th wheel and am very happy with the 6.5TD performance, drivability, durability, and quietness. Most of the previous are according to taste, but the IFS and the indirect injection suite mine. Now offer me a Duramax and I would trade the 6.5 without a second thought. But I am not really willing to spend $40K on a truck I use mainly for pleasure and an occasional hauling job. I'll wait a few years for some good used ones come on the market.

MartyB
10-14-2003, 09:24
THe GCWR was reduced some 1500-2000 lbs with the manual tranny which makes no sense to me, as it is the same one Dodge uses behind the Cummins with a 20K rating.

With that in mind, I pulled a 12K trailer up a 4% grade the other day, truck was around 8K, so 20-21,000 total, I was going ~40-42 in 3rd gear, with no heating problems etc. EGT's ~1000, water temps 210F or so, with the high flow water pump, and RS 180 t-stats. I did not have the power to pull in direct, but if a gear where to be split, like the NV 6 sp, I believe I could have pulled it.

Take it slow, it is not a barn burner at those wts, but I have typiclly since new pulled in the 14-16000 range with out problems. You will be better off power/performance wise than those with auto's.

Marty

LanceW
10-14-2003, 10:09
I pulled our old steel 4-horse gooseneck when it was well over 12,000#. We showed in Asheville and Blowing Rock, among other places that you had to climb to reach. As stated above, you will need patience and a downshift on the grades to keep your temps down, but you will be fine as long as you have a hitch that can handle the weight.

Reason for the lower ratings on manuals is just due to clutch wear- the fluid coupling in an auto is designed to slip, while manual clutches of this size are (in GM's opinion) less durable. I know, I know, 18 wheelers don't have automatics but they are a totally different beast. Anyway, not my idea, I just know what I'm told...

Jolie
10-14-2003, 16:15
Even with what the trailer is rated at I doubt we will go over 10k with the trailer. Most of it on the flat, no hills. I think the truck will be fine.

Its a good *little* truck, my hubby hates it when his logging partner (also works with him at the fire dept) parks his 01 F-350 next to the K3500, makes the Chevy look like a Toyota or something..... :D

jeffreydmet
10-14-2003, 17:18
I often pull a 7000lb goose neck horse trailer (loaded) with a 4000 lb camper behind that. I don't have any problems with it except it takes a while to get up to speed with the auto transmission. I would like to trade the auto for someones manual. I won't own another automatic to pull with.

Before I got the 6.5 K3500 I regularly pulled the 7000lb horse trailer with a C1500 4.3L 5 speed. It pulled it very well just need good trailer brakes. The C1500 is factory rated for a 2000 lb trailer. Yeah in 140000 miles I have replaced the clutch once but $40 and 4 hrs labor and its done. Whats it cost to fix the auto? A bunch.

DogDiesel
10-14-2003, 18:33
Jolie,
My 6.5 4x4 1T SRW with 5 speed and low-compression engine has more power than brakes. While it has wonderful brakes, and all four of my trailers will lock the brakes, there is something to be said about finding the maximum in towing. With most drivers, its about GVWR.

Not a big deal in the flatlands, but whoohwie, get in the mountains, and the loads over 12k on trailer can REALLY push you downhill. Even with SRW, I have not felt suspension issues, no significant sway, heck a fellow would have to have a death wish to tow faster with a properly loaded trailer. SRW has the same brakes as DRW on these models.
Engine retarder? If I had to tow in the mountains of western NC, I'd definitely have one. I have towed all over the USA, and nothing is worse than the big slope and big curve. 10% in the rockies, just go down a gear, and the engine holds you back, you're basically heading straight. But them curves. You gotta have brakes. And continuous.
Now having said that, an extra trailer axle can give extra stopping power. If that trailer brake fails, you may just have time to get yourself right with God before gravity and mass gets scientific on you.
10K. A bone stock 6.5 5sp will keep you at about the right speeds going up, and brakes in good condition on truck and trailer will slow you down about right. For most drivers 10k trailer load is about enough.

Wayne
My 3 cents smile.gif

DogDiesel
10-14-2003, 18:47
Trivia for your amusement. The 6.5TD.
Talked to an AM General engineer and a few field reps at lunch while back about the Hummer.
Asked why there was a fixation on limiting the weight of the new heavy HMMWV (empty Wt 11,300) at a GVRW at 12,000 lbs with only 7-900 lbs human and cargo ?
Power. The 6.5 stock simply does not have enough power to pull the 12K load over the military required 60% uphill slope. Course that is a steep hill. The new version heavy HMMWVs had the rear diff ratio lowered to take advantage of the power and meet the requirement. Not to mention with the 4SP OD auto upgrade from the T400 it tended to dog out in high. HMMHMMM.

Back to trucks. In the same years early on in the 6.5 era, a 7.4L gas was given a higher GVWR than a diesel, similar chassis. A manual less on a 6.5 than a auto. While not 60% they tried to start off on, it was the steep hill starts that lowered the GWVR, related to engine power and clutch to get it going.

Wayne

Jolie
10-14-2003, 19:06
We have an electric brake controller and the trailer has electric brakes on both axles. Have it adjusted just right and that trailer can stop the truck, lol.

Not that long ago we had the 1994 K3500 6.5L TD and a 1994 K2500 7.4L 454. Traded the 454 off for the Explorer.

As for pulling power, the 6.5L could outpull that 454 any day of the week, the 454 could barely get out of its own way. The 454 had 138k on it when we traded it. Really nice truck, in great shape, 2 owner, babied all its life, never really had to work. I'll take the abused 6.5L TD that we have now though, its a better truck.

Kidd
10-14-2003, 19:15
The fifth wheel hitch I use mounts directly on the frame rails, you don't even need a box or bed.. rated at 24k. All that shows is the ball.

K.D.

MartyB
10-16-2003, 16:59
Dog diesel,

Not to say your wrong, but I have some charts showing the graidbility of rigs at different wts and how steep a hill they can climb when comparing over all low gear ratio's and torque of the engine. Using these figures, at 20K, an auto 6.5 with 385ft lbs will go up a 15% grade, yet a manual can pull a 30% grade at 20K.

My experience pulling trailers in my landscape biz, always shows a manual will out pull a auto as far as steepness goes. I have stalled more than my share of auto's out than I care to talk about, yet the manual trucks will go the limit of what I need. Even smaller engined rigs will out pull a bigger engine auto.

Then again, I am not the army either, and hopefull they were testing real world slopes, not what formulas tell them should happen.

StephenA
10-18-2003, 02:51
Hi MartyB,
Could you email me those charts?
Thanks,