PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Burb trailer wiring question

332bill
03-12-2007, 08:48
My 1999 K2500 burb has both the light duty and heavy duty trailer wiring harnesses to the back. I am going to install a brake controller and I need to know where under the dash I pick up the heavy duty wiring harness wires. My truck does not have a connector under the dash.

Thanks,
Bill

332bill
03-12-2007, 14:40
I found Art's thread on this subject from 2003. I think that answer's my questions.

Bill

332bill
03-12-2007, 16:23
I found the blue and orange wires under the brake master cylinder. In the underhood fuse block there are two unused 30A fused posts. I was thinking of connecting the power supply to the brake controller to one of these. The brake controller folks usually recommend there be an auto-reset circuit breaker. Should I just use the fused location, or install an auto-reset circuit breaker as well (maybe use a 50 amp fuse, and the circuit breaker, so the breaker goes first)? I also need a brake light feed. There is an unused pin in the convenience center that has the stop-lamp switch output. Is there any reason why I can't use that?

Thanks, Bill

HammerWerf
03-17-2007, 22:49
Bill,

I've got a 99 Sub. When I installed my controller 3 years ago, I had the same questions.

I found this set of instructions describing the location of a convenence center plug that is attached to the brake switch.

http://www.hitchmart.com/graphics/39523.pdf

Page 3 has the GM specific info on it.

After trying to get my hand up by the brake light switch, I hope it lasts forever.

For power, I connected directly onto one of those hot posts under the hood. Just don't run the power settings really high.

HammerWerf

332bill
03-19-2007, 10:03
Hammerwerf,

Thanks for the reply. Your link confirmed the pin I was talking about.

Thanks!!

Bill