PDA

View Full Version : High Mileage

dodgeking7131
03-12-2007, 19:05
Hey everyone. Lookin to do some refinancing and debt reductoin. Lookin at some moderatly high mileage dmaxs I have 3 ram diesels in the family 2 of them with 200k on them and are decent enough. Im lookin in the 150k-200k mileage. any big problems to watch for? Or are they lasting pretty well? I just ask cause i notice all the trucks out there have the ileage im lookin for and was wondering why everyone was dumping the trucks

More Power
03-12-2007, 23:05
You'll be on your own for any repair work on a 2001-2003 LB7 past 200,000 miles. Injectors could be a concern, although reman injectors are available for a lot less than new ones would be at a GM dealer.

You might be able to acquire a third-party extended warranty, which would be recommended for those who are unwilling or unable to do their own maintenance on out of warranty diesel pickups (of all brands).

Jim

Mark Rinker
03-13-2007, 06:28
I'd say the Duramaxes are lasting as well or better than their Dodge counterparts. Have you asked the sellers why they are selling? I constantly shop used trucks for my business and find that many are trading up to the new '06 and '07 models.

If you do buy a high mile Duramax, here would be MY recommendations

1) Avoid the first year (2001) there is some data to suggest that they have a tendency to need head gaskets later in life. Also some programming improvements in later years.

2) DO buy an LB7 '02-'03 with 100K to 150K - you still have time to get the injectors warrantied by 200K - or better yet find a truck that has already had all 8 injectors done.

3) At the miles you desire, it should have a new water pump. If it doesn't, plan on it.

4) Check to see if xfer case rear half has been replaced. Early models knock a hole through the driver's side around 80-100K and if you catch it early can be fixed with the case half. If not, you replace the xfer case completely.

My .02 worth...