PDA

View Full Version : need some advice\opinions

harder316
03-14-2007, 20:41
truck was blowing smoke like crazy and leaking oil out a bit by the exaust manifold(kind out spraying like pressurized) at same time just before this happened starter would start to turn engine stall a bit then kick over. got truck looked at and told starter, turbocharger, head gasket also told $5000 to fix it can't afford that so I have to do it myself. Took starter out and metal caseing was actually broken. Drained oil, didn't look like coolent in oil but coolent level down. Took out turbocharger. It is shot as turbine has play and lots of oil in upper intake. Going to replace those and my guess is the next step would be to do a compression test. Never done a compression test on a diesel before any tips\advice would be great. I have read that the engine should be at operating temp when doing this, just out of curiousity WHY

Robyn
03-14-2007, 21:11
Best test is at operating temp but you dont have to.
be sure to disable the fuel solenoid so it wont start and thenunscrew all the glow plugs. screw in a compression tester adapter and then crank til you get about 4-5 hits.
Should be about 300 on the low to 400 on the high The main thing is to look for really odd ones. Like a 200 or two together that are low. or an end one thats low.
If all are above 300 and even its ok. 350-370 is of course better and 400 is sweet..

Hope this helps
Robyn

tommac95
03-17-2007, 19:04
>Took out turbocharger. It is shot as turbine has play and lots of oil in upper intake.
Significant oil in intake not abnormal.
Play in turbo shaft may also be fine. The important thing is that the turbo blade section doesn't rub at all on the casing. Once it starts to rub , replace immediately. The shaft floats on pressurized oil flow during operation.

>truck was blowing smoke like crazy and leaking oil out a bit
{ignore}

>>by the exaust manifold(kind out spraying like pressurized) at same time just before this happened starter would start to turn engine stall a bit then kick over.
This is likely problem , your comp test should diagnose.
It sounds as though the headgasket developed a leak , which dribbled into one cylinder following shutdown. Then when you started , the starter snapped while hydrolocking ....

Good luck , proceed with care.

harder316
03-18-2007, 09:05
if the engine was hydrolocking what is the worst case scenerio when it come to anything else that might be damaged, when truck did start it was running fine no abnormal noises or anything.