PDA

View Full Version : March Article Updates

More Power
03-15-2007, 11:35
Optimizer 6500 (http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/AMG6500.htm)
Diesel Power for AM General's HMMWV

For nearly 23 years, AM General's High Mobility, Multi-purpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV) has been powered by the Detroit Diesel designed GM 6.2L & 6.5L diesel engines. GM's production capacity, overall low cost and adequate performance made the original GM engines a natural choice for AMG's front-line military rig. Many evolutionary changes were made to this engine family through the years, but perhaps the most significant enhancements have appeared since November 2001. AM General assumed control of engine production in 2000, and immediately began making plans to improve the durability and performance of the 6.5L Turbo Diesel engine - now called the Optimizer 6500.

Differentials (http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/differentials.htm)
Identification, Restoration & Repair

Book Review: Drivetrain expert and author Jim Allen has teamed up with a leading drivetrain component supplier, Randy Lyman of Randy's Ring & Pinion, to produce a profusely illustrated and perhaps definitive book on the drive axle and differential.

AndyL
03-16-2007, 11:34
I believe there is a new, new, 6.5 almost ready?

I've heard/read rumors for over a year now, any information?

More Power
03-16-2007, 13:28
I talked to an OEM supplier while in Michigan in June 2006, who mentioned a series of possible upgrades. But, AMG hasn't released any official info.

Rumors.... which may or may not appear include a forged-steel crank, block design changes, lower compression, new turbo options - and another 30 factory hp.;)

Time will tell... In the meantime, the current engine is the best 6.5 yet manufactured. :)

Jim

AndyL
03-16-2007, 13:35
Wonder if we'll see an updated DS4 with greater than ~83mm3?

Sure hope so!

More Power
03-16-2007, 15:24
It's doubtful there'll be any DS4 mods. All of the HMMWV engines are mechanically fuel injected. Only the civilian models got the DS4, and those engines need to meet the emissions regs for whatever model year the vehicles were produced in. Luckily, the aftermarket has produced DS mods to increase power.

I've seen AMG engines with Holset turbochargers, so they are considering something other than the rather limiting IHI.

The Stanadyne DB injection pumps are currently the best choice for the military. One wire is all it needs to function, and is much simpler to service in the field. Newer diesels have been offered to AMG for consideration, but they are too complicated and aren't nearly as survivable in combat. For a time, the recent Navistar V-6 diesel was considered. Performance was great, but it was a lot more expensive and too complicated (computerized hi-pressure common rail).

Jim