PDA

View Full Version : Best Location for Pyrometer Probe

gmenor
01-14-2004, 04:20
Where is the best location for the pyrometer probe - driver side or passenger side. Looking at the passenger side will require some work.

DBlake
01-14-2004, 06:43
From your post it sounds as if you are wanting a pre-turbo sensor. If so, John Kennedy directed me to a spot on the passenger side exhaust manifold just below the turbo. There is a flat spot on the inboard side about an inch below the flange. You can easily drill and tap it without removeing any thing except perhaps the plastic turbopower cover. Remember to idle your engine while drilling/taping to blow out metal shavings. HTHs

[ 01-15-2004, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: DBlake ]

Kennedy
01-14-2004, 06:53
Kinda like this:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/images/Pyrometer-probe-at-turbine-.gif

MikeC
01-14-2004, 18:14
Just a thought.

Do we really want metal shavings going through our turbos, even idling?? :eek:

Just makes me nervous.

I'm asking because I'm looking at possibly moving mine out of the downpipe.

Ideas?

Mike

whatnot
01-15-2004, 00:00
Originally posted by MikeC:
Just a thought.

Do we really want metal shavings going through our turbos, even idling?? :eek:

Just makes me nervous.

I'm asking because I'm looking at possibly moving mine out of the downpipe.

Ideas?

Mike I think the idea is that the exhaust pressure will blow them out and keep them from getting into the manifold at all.

MikeC
01-15-2004, 10:03
Doh!! redface.gif That makes sense.

Mike

gmenor
01-15-2004, 14:53
Thanks for the reply's. This project starts Saturday. Any ideas on the transmission???

MikeC
01-15-2004, 15:00
My trans temp probe is in a "T" that came with a B&M gauge kit. The "T" clamps the steel line on the ends and the side port is 1/8" NPT.

I put it in the line out to the cooler. This was recommended since it is the easiest place to sense the highest fluid temps. This may be stating the obvious but, if you do it just be sure to use a stubby tubing cutter and not a saw.

Mike

LanceW
01-16-2004, 04:17
On the 4L80E there is an NPT plug on the driver's side, just above and aft of the shifting linkage. May not give you the hottest temp, but will give you a referenc point.

gmenor
01-16-2004, 11:57
Thansk for the reply, I went to JK web site and looked at his tech tips. JK shows two placements for the pyrometer probe. Is there a drastic diference on readings and which would be more accurate. As far as the transmission temperature probe where is the output line located at. I appreciate the replies.

vernj4
01-17-2004, 13:27
On the 4L80E there is an NPT plug on the driver's side, just above and aft of the shifting linkage. May not give you the hottest temp, but will give you a referenc point.

So where would be the hotest locatiion?

MikeC
01-17-2004, 13:49
As close to the outlet out to the cooler is what I was told by folks here. I'll have to climb under my truck and look, unless someone jumps in here, as I don't recall which line it is.

Mike