PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler line repair

Shikaroka
03-17-2007, 21:23
A few days ago I read a thread about repairing the oil cooler lines by putting some clamps on the crimped aluminum ends, but I can't find the thread now.
One of the forum regulars talked about using some 3/4" hose clamps that looked like exhaust clamps.
I have looked (just about) everywhere for these kind of clamps, but I can't find them. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and maybe where to find them?

Mikeandwendy74
03-18-2007, 08:37
I recently repaired mine by using a grinder to cut the aliminum lines near the cooler as close to the crimp as possible(cut crimp right off). Then I used a flaring tool on the aluminum cooler lines to give them a little lip. Not too much lip or you will not get the lines over the flare and you will be cutting the aluminum again and starting over. Some people used 4 small clamps, from say a heater hose with the 5/16" hex head screw to tighten them up, 2 on each line. If you do this method it works great but dont go buy 4 junk clamps from autozone cuz' thats what they are JUNK. Go to a plumbers supply house and buy some clamps made out of stainless steel and made in the USA. They are incredibly strong. I used 6 just for kicks. By the way, when using the heater style clamps, you only have to tighten the clamps until the rubber starts to press through the slots, when you feel the rubber pushing up through, you're done.

Nobby
03-18-2007, 10:32
The Exhaust U-Bolt style clamps are known as Air Tube Clamps in the small sizes.
The 3/4" Napa Part# is 732-1147

cheers
Nobby

rjwest
03-18-2007, 16:01
that's the one's,,, may have to file a tad of the inside of the clamp,

keep snugging them up, takes awhile to seat, and squeeze out the oil from the cover.

place the clamps mid way on the crimp...

Shikaroka
03-19-2007, 06:46
The Exhaust U-Bolt style clamps are known as Air Tube Clamps in the small sizes.
The 3/4" Napa Part# is 732-1147

cheers
Nobby

That's what I was looking for!
Now maybe I can get my local NAPA to order them.

THANKS!!

rjwest
03-19-2007, 15:45
they also have the same type clamp ( diff material) listed as an exhaust clamp.
2 bucks more than the air clamp

landrea
03-19-2007, 20:19
Hi guys, I've been off this board for a while but now I'm back, so here goes. I just had to repair a formed heater hose on my lincoln car and it had a crimped hose like a cooler line,we had to cut the collar of the crimp and then the hose pulled off and lo and behold it already had a flare on the aluminum tube,so we slipped on the new hose and installed a new clamp and good to go.Could the cooler line crimp be much different? Hope this helps.

Shikaroka
03-21-2007, 11:37
I got 4 of them from my local NAPA. They were $1.99 a piece.
I got two of them on and it seams to have stopped my oil leak up front.

Thanks guys!