PDA

View Full Version : Edge Juice W/Att. - input -query

DickWells
03-18-2007, 10:31
:) To go allong with my new breather, I ordered the Edge system. Installed right here at the campground in Del Rio. Brochure says, "No mechanical work to be done in the campground". Well, the guys are working on, and running-up their bass boats all week. What's good for the gander, is good for the goose, me says.
I put the HyperTech back to stock, before I installed the EJ-W/Att. Was running the HT on level 2. Set the Edge on level 2, with fuelling tip-in set on 3. First impression on leaving campground. WOW! Much more solid, immediate, acceleration on launch. Noticeable reduction in throttle opening, felt under the foot. This only happens, by the way, after the engine warms up to 160+, since Juice won't allow additional fuelling until warm-up. A good thing, I think.
Question: Did I actually retain my accurate tire size/speedometer setting, after I put the HyperTech back to stock? I know that it's still set for stock tire size, which I have. (145/85) But, I had marked and rolled my tire, and set the (exact) measurement in the HP. Very accurate, as confirmed by measured ten miles, etc. Do I still have that setting, you reckon? J K, GMAC, other experts, usual suspects?
Any bets on how long before I'm singing the Edge Juice Warantee Blues? Hope all the gloom and doom I've read in here, doesn't come to fruition.
Have a good day, all.
Dick Wells:)

serpa4
03-20-2007, 06:17
Did I actually retain my accurate tire size/speedometer setting
Yes, J/A does nothing to change these. J/A is a box that intercepts the computer signals and modifies them. No programing is done by the J/A unlike programers that write to the compter. That is the difference between a box and programmer.
I ran J/A on 100 hp setting for 400 miles before starting to scortch clutches. Be careful. My J/A ran great. Now runing EFI live.

DickWells
03-20-2007, 15:09
:) Thanks for the come-back. Well, I still don't know the answer, exactly. Guess I should have asked this way. When I set the HyperTech back to stock, did it also revert back to the ecm factory settings for tire size/Vs speedometer reading? I know that when I was running the HT on anything other than stock, the speedo was more accurate than before I installed it, since I had set the (exact) tire size in there.
Is that a better way to ask?
DW:)

cabletech
03-20-2007, 15:15
You programed the computer back to stock..... Speedometer is back to stock. Some programers will allow you to change tire size, gear ratio and speed limiter on the stock tune, I don't know if the Hypertech will.

Jay

DickWells
03-21-2007, 21:18
I looked through the HT owner's manual this afternoon. From what I can see, the tire diameter setting that I put in there, should stay. I may just go through the routine again, just set the tire size, but not the power setting. Trouble is, I didn't write the dimension down! Thanks for getting back to me.
Now, doesn't anyone care to discuss my thread on the S&B install, from this same forum?--- Anyone?---Please?
I feel so alone! Lost in the wiles of South Texas! Oh well, I still have Jean and Suzie.;) That's, wife of 46 years and 15 year-old English Setter.
Regards.

50+
03-25-2007, 05:24
Dick...Since the Edge doesnt allow additional fueling until the engine warms up, does that eliminate the additional diesel clatter on a cold engine? Or did you have that with the HT. My Bully Dog on Tune 1, gives considerable more diesel clatter until engine warms up then it sounds the same as stock. Thanks.

DickWells
04-12-2007, 21:10
50+, I've been off the DP for about 3 weeks, what with going off the ends of the earth, down in the Big Bend, etc.
I've never seen any smoke on start-up, with either the HT, or the Edge. Haven't had any rattle on cold start-up either.
Now, I'm going to post this as a question for John K, in hopes that he sees it. If he doesn't, then I'll make a new post out of it in a few days. I noticed, suddenly, that at something like 5500-6000 ft. elevation, the LB7 idles with a very distinct clacking, that seems to be absent at say, 4000. Sent my heart into the pit of my stomach the first time I heard it! It seems to emminate from the IP cover (or whatever it is) at the upper right front of the engine. Problem is, I haven't proven that it's gone at lower elevations, because we're currently travelling mostly through the mountains of NM, Ar, and Utah. Only time will tell of course. Do you see this John? Is it the ellevation? I hope, I hope, I hope!
I read the thread on mods in this same forum, and don't understand all the hooplah about mileage, smoke, etc. What I did notice in that thread, is that the LLY should have more ellectronic control of advance at altitude than the LB7. If, the guy is right in all his assumptions/observations. Sooo, I'm still hoping that the LB7 is sensing altitude, and changing things to give me all that noise when we're up high. ????
Dick Wells:)

Kennedy
04-13-2007, 07:59
Timing and other areas of injection timing change with baro (elevation) and I've also seen my 02 change sound on long trips as fuel temp got hot. Keeping your fuel level up, and consider lift pump(s) to keep your fuel liquid rather than "carbonated" should help.

DickWells
04-13-2007, 22:59
Thanks John: Guess I'll be puting in a lift pump and filter, soon. I seldom let the fuel get below 3/4ths, but I often tow in heat and altitude.
Today, in Moab, I noticed that the engine sound was back to normal at about 4000 ft. It seems to be above 5000+ that the clack gets more pronounced.
Makes sense that the pump picked up a case of vapors the other day in Ar. A big burp and hard shift in tow-haul, then into some sort of limp. I was fortunate that I could pull the codes and then clear them. If I have other eppisodes of the same, I'll feel that I've pretty much proved out what you've said.
Thanks again.