PDA

View Full Version : transmission shift cable

4inchsnappy
03-22-2007, 10:15
has anybody had to replace the transmission shift cable on a 95 suburban? mine is not working, the lever on the sterring colum was feeling funny...then i could not get her into P,N,Drive etc. upon some exploring under the truck i found the black cable sheath inside the rubber protection boot was broken the cable itself is intact. I assume the end of the cable that attaches under the truck is swaged on, then the cable winds it way through the truck body to the steering colum. can I do this job myself? or is there a way to fix the sheath in place? any thoughts?

diesel65
03-22-2007, 19:36
If you are mechanically inclined, go for it. It's not a difficult job but its a pain in the neck type of job.
The drivers seat has to come out and you need to peel the carpet back to replace the cable. You might want to remove the lower dash panel to get better access to the cable at the base of the steering column.
I do not know if it is available aftermarket, I use the OEM cable when doing the job.
If you installed the new cable you need to adjust it, put the gear selector in neutral then put the transmission in neutral by manually moving the shift arm. Snap the cable onto the arm then squeeze the adjusting clip closed to set the adjustment and then slide the cover over to lock the adjustment.

redbird2
03-22-2007, 19:52
I had to replace the one in my 98 k3500 crew cab, after installing the transmission and broke the end of the cable at the trans. I think it was only about 50.00 from local dealer could be off was a few years its not a hard job just take your time. good luck

4inchsnappy
03-23-2007, 07:46
thanks for the input, I think i'll tear into it this weekend. so the cable runs under th carprt inside the truck,then throught the floor at some point? also is the conection at the colum anything special?

diesel65
03-23-2007, 16:08
The cable passes thru a bracket at the steering column, there should be a metal u shaped safety clip to hold the plastic ears open on the cable.

First remove the metal clip using a screwdriver then pop the cable off the shift linkage then try to squeeze the tabs to remove the cable from the bracket, might be easier to release one side at a time.
Same procedure is used at the transmission end.

One note, there is a rubber plug on the cable to pass the cable thru the floor, make sure the new plug is seated properly and the cable does rest against the tranfer case shift linkage.