PDA

View Full Version : 2002 DM/AT question

Will E.
03-22-2007, 14:37
I'm considering buying a 2002 Silverado 2500 Duramax w/ the automatic Allison tranny. When I test drove the truck it was difficult to move the shifter from park to drive (or between any other gears for that matter). Once in drive the transmission shifted smoothly, but I'm still worried about this indicating some tranny problems. Has anyone had a similar issue? The truck has 86k miles and its clear its been offroad its fair share, otherwise a pretty nice truck, could be my first diesel, as well as Chevy, if the transmission isn't in bad shape. Any help is appreciated.

Prestonia24
03-22-2007, 15:45
I have an 06 LBZ D/A and I noticed that it does shift particularly hard from Park to Drive, but typically only when cold. Once the transmission fluid heats up it shifts from P to D relatively simple. the transmission fluid seems like it heats up quickly, and the transmission shifts between forward gears with relative ease.
-Also, the truck's shiftability has been the same since new (9k miles ago, and 8 months), so nothing has changed as far as I can tell in that regard.

My girlfriend complains when she drives my truck because you have to put effort into changing from P -> D. (She drives an Audi A4, so that tells you something about shift-strength).

I don't notice it too much though, as my 01 Sierra C1500 5.3 gasser (w/ 4 speed) tended to shift hard (from P) as compared to say my dad's 06 'Vette, but still relatively easier than the Duramax/Allison.

As far as my guess, I'd say if you have the opportunity, drive a similarly configured truck (Duramax/Allison) and see if that truck has a tough shift as well, tough P -> D shift might be par for the course. (Maybe GM wants to make sure that you REALLY want to put it into park ;))

77TransAm
03-24-2007, 09:32
Sounds like a shift cable issue. There is almost nothing inside the transmission that will cause hard shifting, although if you're parked on a grade, it can take some effort to pull it out of park. The Allison has one huge park pawl in it!

More Power
03-24-2007, 15:03
There is a park switch and solenoid that prevents shifting from park unless the brake pedal is pressed. Most people always press the brake pedal anyway, so they don't notice this feature.

Jim