PDA

View Full Version : Heater in fuel filter

j7l2
03-23-2007, 08:17
How important is the heater that is built into the fuel filter housing on the 6.5TD. If the heater isn't working will it affect cold weather starting? Is there a way to verify that it is working? This is on a 1995 Chev, 2500, 4wd, ext cab, short bed, 4l80 trans, with 217000 miles. On days when the temperature over night gets below freezing the truck requires more cranking to start it. No smoke visible when it does start. Injectors are original, glow plugs and controller are a year old, lift pump is 3 years old and I have JK'S OPS replacement kit. Fuel filter is a year old. I always add 4 ozs. of Stanadyne Performance additive to every fill up. It runs fine after stating but just takes a couple of more seconds of cranking than it used to.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thank you,
JimO

DennisG01
03-23-2007, 08:29
I'd start by checking the plugs - verify they're getting power and that they're good. Plugs are always the first place to start - even if they're only 3 days old! :)

JohnC
03-23-2007, 13:21
The fuelheater will have no effect on cold starting. It doesn't heat up that fast.

Diesels start harder in cold weather, as a rule, but you shouldbn't be having problems at or around freezing, though, that's down right balmy...

CareyWeber
03-24-2007, 17:43
The fuelheater will have no effect on cold starting. It doesn't heat up that fast.

Diesels start harder in cold weather, as a rule, but you shouldbn't be having problems at or around freezing, though, that's down right balmy...

Like John said the heater is not a starting aid. The heater is there to keep fuel from gelling in the filter and plugging the the filter.

Carey

Warren96
03-24-2007, 18:58
One or both of the batteries could also be getting soft.If so they could be fine all summer, but this fall they could turn out to be a pain.

j7l2
03-25-2007, 16:11
I put two new batteries and a new starter on in December 2006. I am thinking that the glow plug controller or the glow plugs may need replacing, even thou they are not that old. The glow plug light stays on for about 8 to 10 seconds when the motor is cold.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

JimO

NH2112
03-25-2007, 16:25
Are you saying it all of a sudden takes a few more seconds of cranking to start, or that it takes longer in the winter? I wouldn't give it any more thought if you're just talking 3-5 seconds extra and only in the winter. Real soon you'll find out if it's a seasonal thing or not.
Glow plugs are the most important part of good cold starts, and while they're not as easy or cheap as replacing a fuel filter I'd test & replace those first, if necessary. If they're more than a few years old, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to replace them. Althoough, I'd say that if you're not seeing excessive white smoke while cranking or right after starting, your glow plugs are OK. When your glow plugs are bad or don't come on, you'll know it!

j7l2
03-26-2007, 06:10
Just this winter, since December 2006 I have noticed the Glow plug light on 3 to 5 seconds longer and then it requires a few more seconds of cranking time also. Now that the weather is getting warmer I am not noticing the extra cranking time. Something did change, I just don't know what. I don't get basically any smoke at cold start up. Truck runs fine.

Just trying to figure out what changed.

Regards,
JimO

DennisG01
03-26-2007, 09:09
Have you tested your plugs, yet?

Shikaroka
03-26-2007, 09:16
Just this winter, since December 2006 I have noticed the Glow plug light on 3 to 5 seconds longer and then it requires a few more seconds of cranking time also.

Longer than what? Longer this last December (2005), or longer then last July?

j7l2
03-26-2007, 12:56
Starting in December 2006, as the cold weather season was upon us. I noticed that the glow plug light time and cranking time was getting longer. I had never noticed this in any previous year. And now that the weather is getting warmer it is starting normal again. I was just wondering if some part was getting to the point of needing to be replaced.

Thank you,
JimO

JohnC
03-26-2007, 13:02
The PCM senses engine coolant temperature and adjusts the glow time accordingly. What you are seeing is normal.