PDA

View Full Version : exhaust turn down question

AJMBLAZER
03-23-2007, 15:30
Excuse me if this is a silly question but then again I don't know much about diesels, this is my first.

I'd like to put two turn downs on my 6.2L's system as right now every time I start it up when cold it blows out some serious soot/crap. So much that I now have to go scrub the siding on two walls of my garage and one on the house. Whoops...
I'm about to finally get the parts vehicle project out of the garage and the pickup will be able to stay in there. I REALLY don't want to be blowing soot and crap all over the wife's car and other stuff in the garage every time I fire the truck up.

Any risks or issues with turn downs on a diesel? Most of the box trucks I've driven had turn downs but then again most aren't built to be pretty or last for 30 years. I had one on my gas powered Ranger and was told it would rust out the underbody and the axles and yadda yadda...I really didn't see much difference after over two years. Anything different with a diesel?

robertb6963
03-23-2007, 18:48
Don't park over dry grass!

AJMBLAZER
03-23-2007, 18:50
You know, I heard that one too with the Ranger and never had any problems. I think it's one of those rumors from when cars could actually run that bad.:eek:

robertb6963
03-23-2007, 20:36
You know, I heard that one too with the Ranger and never had any problems. I think it's one of those rumors from when cars could actually run that bad.:eek:

I've got pictures and video of my friends bronco that burned to the ground last year bc of turndowns, was a nice truck 6" lift on 35"BFG M/T, now just an object to flex out on drivin the trail. Wish I knew how to post pics on this post, anybody know how?

JeepSJ
03-24-2007, 10:38
My exhaust has a turn down at the end. By the time the exhaust gets back there, it has cooled down quite a bit. It isnt much of a turn...just enough to keep the exhaust from blowing straight out.

http://images.myphotoalbum.com/l/li/lin/lind/linde/linderfamily/albums/album02/exh5.sized.jpg

AJMBLAZER
03-24-2007, 11:45
Dig the GW JeepSJ.:cool: That's about exactly the type of turn down I'm thinking of, only a little bit more under the body and without the nice pipe...