PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Swap questions

HillBilly2
03-23-2007, 19:41
Well I just got my 90 Suburban out of the tranny shop, Tires are pretty bad, got lots of tread but really make a lot of noise and shake some. So I want to get new tires, but the burb had 15" wheels. I want to upgrade to 16's.

I called a couple of wrecking yards and was told conflicting info so I hope someone can clear it up. I was told late model wheels would not work because they went to larger lugs. Could I swap to the larger lugs? Another yard told me the center holes were bigger and I could only use 15" suburban wheels. I had the thought that probably the sharpest knife in the drawer wouldn't be working in that yard.......

So, what will work, what are my options? Also will 285/75/r16's work without any interference problems?

Thanks for your help

Craig M
03-23-2007, 22:54
There are some larger diameter 15's that are equal in size to the 16's. I looked for some 16" wheels for my 5 lug 83 Suburban. There are 6 lug 16's but had no luck finding any reasonably priced 5 lug 16" wheels. 16" wheels will fit fine in your Suburban.

HillBilly2
03-24-2007, 07:14
I found a set of factory alloys from a 2003 Silverado, good looking wheels. At $150 for the set the price is right. What do I need to do to get them to work or can I?

Thanks

Yukon6.2
03-24-2007, 11:02
Hi
The backset of the newer wheels is different than the older style wheels.You should be able to get a set of white spock wheels.I got some for a 90 1/2 ton sub a few years ago,but try them on the front to see if they clear the tie rods,the first set i got sent had the wrong backset and hit the tie rod ends. The newer wheels will probly fit ok but will make your truck look skinnyer because they will fit deeper in your fenders.Some of the newer toyotas had 16'' alloy wheels on them,the bolt patten is the same on their 6 holers.
Good luck in your hunt
Thomas