PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioner fan cuts out when trailer brakes applied

royalglen
03-24-2007, 16:29
I need some answers RE: My air conditioner fan( probably compressor also) cuts out sometimes( about 5 times in 8000 miles) when applying the brakes when towing the 5th wheel (2 axles). The truck is 2005 Chev DA 2500 HD. The dealer said it has nothing to do with the trailer but it only cuts out only when I have the trailer on. I can apply the trailer brake manually and it cuts out!!! Service manager said it is an overload protection but for what reason I don`t know. HD is short for HEAVY DUTY I was told. It is wired with GM wire harness so all wiring should be correct.Any ideas would be welcomed.

More Power
03-28-2007, 11:38
My guess is you have a loose power connection or ground somewhere in the system. The circuit loading produced by the trailer brakes drops the voltage available to some circuit that feeds the HVAC system.

Jim

MaxACL
04-12-2007, 15:15
Along the same train of thought... I was blowing trailer light fuses (all other lights on the truck worked fine) and an RV place found the trailer wiring bundle (from the factory) that was taped togather and hanging between the cab and box was rubbing against something and after 5 years it would short against something.

This for future info.

Mike