PDA

View Full Version : wipers acting funny

bigtallguy
10-13-2003, 20:00
When I turn on the windshield wipers in my truck, they work fine until I turn them off, then they just keep on going or stop in the middle of the windshield. I usually have to get it to stop by either turning the switch on and off a few times or just hitting it. What could be the problem?

rapidoxidationman
10-13-2003, 20:04
Contact your Chevy dealer and ask them if your truck's model and year is included in the windshield wiper motor circuit board recall program. Usually when the board fries it just quits working altogether, but it sounds like your board may be having some of the same problems that have led to the recall.
Good luck,
Rapid

StephenA
10-14-2003, 05:07
If not covered, try resoldering the pads on the board directly behind the connector.

olbooker
10-15-2003, 16:44
Usually, when the wiper motor makes a buzz or just won't function, soldering the 7 pads at the connector will fix it. I am almost inclined to believe that the relay sticks on the ones that won't stop when you turn them off. New board will fix it! It is a shame that GM won't warranty certain ones/years...they all do it eventually!

sailun
11-19-2003, 14:38
My wipers were crazy, too, and wouldn't shut off, wouldn't squirt.

Just fixed them yesterday, with a paper towel !

Removed the cover with the torx fittings, and gently pried the circuit board off. Found a large glob of the red grease for the worm gear had smeared all over the nylon gear, and it's contact points. It was also all over the 2 metal contacts on the back side of the CB. Cleaned it all up, and put the grease back on the worm gear, where it belongs.

Don't ask me why this glob migrated after 88k miles. Temperature change ?