PDA

View Full Version : Help - Spindle Bearing Seal

bmiszuk
03-25-2007, 17:45
I'm replacing ball joints and the spindle bearing. The old spindle bearing seals were pretty messed up (the larger one had broken in two). Where does the smaller seal go, inboard or outboard of the spindle bearing? And does the open part of the V seal face towards the bearing?

Thanks! Everything is disassembled and it's getting late tonight!

RoverIIa
03-26-2007, 21:10
the open part of the V faces the spindle back, which is to say that it faces out.

It should go... Large Metal ring on Axle Shaft, Then Large Soft Rubber Seal with V facing out toward end of axle. Next, Small rubber seal with V (some don't have a V) facing out toward end of axle. Some have a little taper on them, I think it goes toward the center of axle. Then the Spindle Bearing inside the spindle. Don't forget grease. Then the spindle goes on.

Make sure to seat the spindle by tightening 3 nuts really tight, then backing them off and re-torque to proper spec. Otherwise, spindle can come loose and actually break off while driving. This is exciting, but dangerous!

I'm not sure 100% on this, as I haven't done a spindle in about a year. I don't think you could really hurt too much by getting that small seal backwards anyway, it doesn't hold oil, only grease.

Hopefully, this is not too late for you.

bmiszuk
03-27-2007, 06:22
No, not too late. I guessed correctly on the driver's side and got it reassembled but have yet to do the passenger side. Thanks for the info about torquing the spindle correctly -- I did not do it that way. Do you happen to know the correct torque for the spindle nuts?

RoverIIa
03-30-2007, 19:31
No, I do not. You want to torque them until snug-tight. Usually this is as tight as you can go with a hand-wrench and not a lot of exertion, then 1/4 turn.

I would bet that the GM or Haynes book has a spec, but for a 3/8" Fine-Thread, I'm (guessing) around 45-55 ft-lbs.

Basically, with the spindle seated, you should not have a difficult time removing the nuts by hand.

How is that for an obscure answer?