PDA

View Full Version : new rebuild gasket question

derekja
03-26-2007, 19:26
So I'm pulling the front cover off my new rebuild to correct a shipping damage issue. Couple of gasket questions:

1) as it came from the plant, there was a lot of grey form-a-gasket oozing out everywhere. Is this OK? No chance of it getting caught somewhere it shouldn't?

2) after pulling the front cover off, I realized that the form-a-gasket was ALL there was in there - no gasket under the front cover at all. Do I want to put it back together that way? Or do I want to go get a gasket for that cover? It'll cost me $15 and 3 days to have it shipped here.

I guess I'm tempted to just use the form-a-gasket again since that's how it came from the rebuild shop.

If I do that, is "Permatex Ultra Grey sensor safe RTV silicone gasket maker" the stuff I want? It looks like what the rebuild shop put in there and is listed for high torque loads, outstanding oil resistance, and high temp (625 F)

The only downside was that was a right pain to get off of there! I had to rock the cover back and forth and pry underneath with a wooden popsicle stick for a good 20 minutes before it finally came free.

Thoughts? Thanks.

billschall
03-26-2007, 19:36
So I'm pulling the front cover off my new rebuild to correct a shipping damage issue. Couple of gasket questions:

1) as it came from the plant, there was a lot of grey form-a-gasket oozing out everywhere. Is this OK? No chance of it getting caught somewhere it shouldn't?

2) after pulling the front cover off, I realized that the form-a-gasket was ALL there was in there - no gasket under the front cover at all. Do I want to put it back together that way? Or do I want to go get a gasket for that cover? It'll cost me $15 and 3 days to have it shipped here.

I guess I'm tempted to just use the form-a-gasket again since that's how it came from the rebuild shop.

If I do that, is "Permatex Ultra Grey sensor safe RTV silicone gasket maker" the stuff I want? It looks like what the rebuild shop put in there and is listed for high torque loads, outstanding oil resistance, and high temp (625 F)

The only downside was that was a right pain to get off of there! I had to rock the cover back and forth and pry underneath with a wooden popsicle stick for a good 20 minutes before it finally came free.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Paper gasket from the auto parts store for a couple of bucks and painted on both sides with Permatex's High-Tack gasket sealer (the red sticky stuff). The retired engine builder at my local parts store advised against gasket maker. Did mine twice since I crinkled the gasket the first time around. Little over 500 miles since R&R (which does NOT stand for rest & relaxation here!) and no signs of leakin' anywhere. Nicer finish too as there's not a bunch of goo squeezed out all over the place...

-Bill

PS: the High-Tack stuff comes right off with paint remover (see post for why I might know that... :) )

Kennedy
03-26-2007, 20:25
From the factory there are very few gaskets used. Valve covers, oil pan, are silicon. The timing cover is anaerobic?

Permatex? "Right Stuff" in the cheez wiz can is a good sealer.

derekja
03-26-2007, 20:42
Thanks, looks like the same company, John.

http://www.neverseezproducts.com/gasketmake.htm

About a third of the way down the page is the "Ultra Grey" that I got. The main difference from the black one I think you are talking about is that the ultra grey is good to 625F rather than 450F. I'm not sure how to assess whether the anaerobic should be used - some of the grey goop in the cover I just took off was still wet, which I think implies that it required air to cure...

Could you have a quick look and see if you think the ultra grey is a decent choice from their myriad of options?

Kennedy
03-27-2007, 07:28
I don't think you could go wrong with any of the ultras. I'd use black myself. When you look at yiour cover you'll see where anaerobic was used and where silicone was used. I might lean towards silicone myself. A little smear on the crank sensor oring would be a good idea also, as they can weep.

Robyn
03-27-2007, 08:48
Just my 2 cents worth here.
I have over the years used just about everything thats out there in the way of gasket goop.

I personally use gaskets wherever possible. On the front cover I like the paper gasket with the black RTV on both sides. If you ever need to get it back apart you wont need to spend a week with a scraper trying to get all the old stuff off.

Use the RTV generously in the area where the cover meets the pan though.

The RTV is great on the valve covers of these engines. I did my last 6.5 with the rubberized cork. NEVER AGAIN (Use the goop in a tube there)

The RTV is also good for the water pump gaskets too, use on both sides.

My 94 has about 15Kon it now and is dry and clean.

Just what I think ?????? ;0)