PDA

View Full Version : About to Buy my first Diesel

Mudboyyy
03-27-2007, 13:50
As all newbies do...I will post this never ending question/opinion
I have a quote from Chevy for 2007 (old style) 2500 durmax LBZ 4x4 crew cab
SB for 34.4k
I also have a quote from Dodge on a 2007 2500 Mega cab 4x4 5.9 4 spd auto. for 35.9k.
I like the Mega cab for the kids and traveling...but seems duramax and allison are more liked in the forums...
No large trailers yet...I haul large Hay Rolls (only 2 in my current trailer 5x10)
after thats its just dirt bikes...in the near future I want a toy hauler.
Awaiting everyones opinions...thanks

Tough Guy
03-27-2007, 17:43
Unless you have three kids and they're 6' 4" and 250lbs....The Mega Cab is no better than the GM Crew Cab....

Are the tucks comparably equiped? Have you driven either one? Are interest rates/financing a factor?

I really like the looks of the D/C mega lifted with 18's....

The Allison transmission and creature comforts of the GM are nice too.

Good Luck,

Chris

Mudboyyy
03-31-2007, 11:40
Well, My 8 years old is 4 foot 7 and 95 lbs...Doctors said he'll get to 6'6 6'7 of course thats in another 10 years...my 7 year old isnt as big.

I test drove both...the Chevy is quite, smoother and you cant tell its a diesel.
All a plus...But I also like the big truck feel of the Dodge and the mega cab on trips...since this is one big reason I will buy it...

Thanks for your input

jsmiracle
03-31-2007, 20:14
I absolutely love my truck (see sig below). I have four kids (one sits up front on 40/20/40 bench seat). We travel quite a bit pulling our TT (also below). We travel comfortably and it performs great pulling the TT.:)

P.S. I cannot imagine having additional length on my truck to navigate parking lots, etc.

Good Luck,
Jim M.

Stlheadake
04-03-2007, 09:52
Mudboyyy, I think that you will find that the overall majority here are Chevy Dmax lovers. Nothing against the Cummins, but this forum is heavily skewed to the Dmax.

I personally have an 06 Dmax Crew Cab, and I pull a 32' Toy Hauler that is around 14K. My Dmax doesn't mind it at all. She isn't breaking any speed records, but she gets the job done. I have opted to go with the Kennedy Exhaust and his custom tune to boost performance in the MPG area. But I LOVE MY TRUCK!

If you like "the big truck feel" of the Mega Cab, then go for it! I personally don't like the drivetrain of the Dodges. Especially when Cummins had to Detune their new incarnation for that tranny.

If things are "equal", you are the one that is making this payment. You will have to decide which one you like the best. I like the ride and finish of the Chevy, as you mentioned it's also MUCH quieter inside.

If you want a little nicer look at the GMC brand. They have some bells and whistles that will turn you on, but you'll pay for them!

One other thing to consider is bed length. The mega cab steals it's room from the bed. They don't have a 'standard' length short box. This will require some figuring on hitching if you go to a fifth wheel toy hauler.

I have a short box crew cab and use a B & W hitch WITHOUT a slider and have NO clearance issues. You will have to use a slider in that mega cab with a fifth wheel TT. An personally I think maneuvering in parking lots, camp grounds, and around town will suffer. But that's my opinion and I can't know fer sure.

Just points to ponder...

I forgot! I travel with a four and five year old in booster seats, and an 18 month old in the middle in her car seat. Two 80 pound chocolate labs lay on the floor. We camp just about every other weekend!

Mudboyyy
04-05-2007, 09:37
Thanks for the input...after driving both...The smoothness of the chevy duramax...the 6 spd tranny...and the issues around the short bed Dodge.
I am leaning torwards the Chevy...
The pricing of the Chevy was less, 5 yr warranty on both Engine and tranny is
a must for me.
I have nit picking issues on both trucks...and since I do not need one asap...I am holding off for now...maybe see if Toyota comes out with a 3/4 ton and diesel engine.

Stlheadake
04-05-2007, 14:22
The consensus is that Toyota WILL have a 3/4 ton truck. Rumor is that it will have a CAT for a diesel. No confirmation, just what I have picked up around the boards.

That said, IMHO there is no way I'd touch a first model year Truck of ANY brand! Especially one with a NEW power plant and tranny combo. Also, pending what you are wanting to do with that truck, I'd have reservations.

No truck will be the 'perfect' truck. But just be careful! Those first model years can be tough....have you read about the new F*RDs lately?

Good Luck! :confused: