PDA

View Full Version : Pulling the engine, almost there...

Cowracer
03-29-2005, 12:36
What @%&@#&* IDIOT designed the fuel line bracket that hooks up to the top drivers-side tranny bellhousing bolts? :mad: :mad: :confused:

I spent almost a whole hour trying to remove the 13mm nuts that hold the bracket to the studs. There is NO WAY to get a wrench to turn more than 1-64th of a turn while engaged to the nut. ARRGHH!

After much foul language, I finally got them both off, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to get them back on when the time comes.

{rant off}

Oh well, only 2 tranny bolts and the motor mounts, and the motor will come out. I'll be posting pictures of the autopsy, but right now, my gut feeling is that it either ate a lifter, or the #3 piston is cracked.

Thanks for letting me vent

Tim

rjschoolcraft
03-29-2005, 13:13
I agree about that bracket. What a disaster.

All I can say is that it was easier to get off last summer when I had to drop the transmission for torque converter replacement than what I did this time. I think it makes a big difference to have the back end of the transmission lowered to give more room. That may be my course for the install.

By the way. The block has now been machined for splayed mains and is at Schmidt Automotive in Indianapolis for the final trueing operations. I'm getting close to assembly. ;)

Marty Lau
03-29-2005, 16:01
ah yes GM designing at it's best. tongue.gif

john8662
03-29-2005, 16:36
Funny (your responce to the great GM enginering), yet not so funny, I'll be there in a week or two, thanks for the hint that I should be calm before I get to that spot.

I'm in the process of making a list of things to replace while I'm there, still looking for a new radiator, don't think I want to go down the recore route with this alum radiator, but I'll check prices.

[ 03-29-2005, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: john8662 ]

Dvldog 8793
03-29-2005, 16:47
Howdy
Those nuts for that bracket are a real pain. :mad: I used a stubby fine tooth ratchet wrench with a rod taped to it. Dont know if this helped me or not but it made me feel like I was improving the situation! If I remember right I think it was easier to put back on, or maybe it was harder?

Good luck and have fun!
L8r
Conley

ace58
03-29-2005, 19:58
I also dropped the transmission down and used every long extention I owned to get at mine. I understand the comments about the GM engineers, but have you worked on a Ford lately? It is quite clear who graduated at the top of the engineering class, and who didn't.

tom.mcinerney
03-29-2005, 20:09
I once had a similar opinion. The starter heat shield afflicted me similarly, too.
The problem is that the engine(s) are being mounted too far aft abutting the firewall. This may be an effort toward balancing weight ?? The cab-forward formation is a real treat for maintainability.

While incensed over this i took the opportunity to walk over to a 1972 C-10, and noted a lot more clearance block/firewall.

The most rearward headbolt becomes a trick/joke to torque in vehicle. And good tranny shops know not to tilt the engine/trans too far down, else the fuelfilt gets troublesome. And, wouldn't it have been nice to run the trans wireharness down the side, rather than top of trans??

Cowracer
03-30-2005, 04:39
Originally posted by ronniejoe:
I think it makes a big difference to have the back end of the transmission lowered to give more room. That may be my course for the install.

NOW you tell me! It never crossed my mind. I have 5-1/2 feet of extension and can get to all the tranny bolts pretty easily, but the ones on with the fuel line bracket are hidden by the flange where they welded the tranny tunnel to the firewall.

Dropping the back end of the tranny may give me just enough clearance to get on them. Thanks for the tip!

Tim

jkpyper
03-30-2005, 09:42
Go to Sears, buy a set of "GearWrench" brand ratcheting wrenches with the swivel heads. I bought those AFTER removing my engine and the made re-installation a dream compared to the nightmare of pulling the engine.

Marty Lau
03-30-2005, 10:06
Originally posted by ace58:
I also dropped the transmission down and used every long extention I owned to get at mine. I understand the comments about the GM engineers, but have you worked on a Ford lately? It is quite clear who graduated at the top of the engineering class, and who didn't. I hear you, truth is that every vehical has things that are a real PITA to work on. I hope in the after life the folks that made these tough things have to work on them for at least part of eternity, it would be fitting.

JohnC
03-31-2005, 08:40
Do what the dealer did with my truck. Leave it off, throw it out and don't tell anyone. Just be aware that 2 years later the fuel line will wear through and spray Diesel fuel all over the back of the engine compartment... :mad: