PDA

View Full Version : u-joint gone south!

Buck
03-28-2007, 02:20
I've got just over 50k miles. I noticed the squeek really bad while backing my gooseneck. I had the same problem with my 2001 Dmax. I think I used spicer greaseable u-joints on it?? What should I replace it with a greaseable or non-greaseable? I've been reading that greaseable u-joints aren't as strong? Don't want to grenade one pullin' hard! Any recommendations?

Mark Rinker
03-28-2007, 16:49
I am getting about the same mileage out of u-joints when towing. 50-80K. So far no failures, they get noisy and then start clunking.

WhiteTruck
03-28-2007, 19:36
Sealed u-joints don

Buck
03-29-2007, 12:03
Thanks for the replies. I got some greaseable u-joints from carquest for $20 each. The grease zert is in the cross. They are marked as heavy duty though. I am going to replace all 3 tomorrow.

DmaxMaverick
03-29-2007, 13:35
I've used the "Brute Force" joints from Autozone. They came recommended highly by a well respected former GM tech that posts here from time to time, and has his own online parts store. They are non-greasable, and are solid through the middle. Eric (the guy I'm referring to) said they are heavier than the OEM's, and upon comparison, they appear to be.