PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions...6.5 Turbo

keplinger78
03-29-2007, 02:07
Hello,
I just traded for a 93 K2500 Chevy with a 6.5 Turbo...The guy I got it from was a Diesel mechanic(large truck)He said that I will need to change the head gasket,He gave me two new ones,Any tips on this ???Here's the scoop...IT has 285,000 miles this is my first diesel of any kind.Truck seems to run OK,It runs just as good as a 350 gas motor.I'm going to use it as a welding truck and to pull my racecar.Here's what's up

#1 Makes funny buzzing noise and glowplug light flickers,after the glowplug light goes out but starts fine(he said it has done that for about a year)

#2 When it first starts it idles ruff for about 30-45 seconds then cleans up,volt meter is low when this is going on till it cleans up/out.

#3 Engine smokes a lot when it is started,but after it warms up it quits smoking.

#4 Seems to have alot of blow-by coming from the engine,he unhooked the tube where it goes in to the air tube,pluged the air intake and jut let it blow oil down over the side of the motor....(285,000 miles) LOL

#5 I have never heard the turbo...at all???

Thanks for taking time to answer back,

Later Tom K.

moondoggie
03-29-2007, 08:04
Good Day!

Sorry, can't help about head gaskets - been luckier than that so far. Someone verify: the head bolts might be torque-to-yield; if so, they can't be reused.

[COLOR=black]"#1 Makes funny buzzing noise and glowplug light flickers, after the glowplug light goes out but starts fine" I'd look at the control signal on the GP relay. It should switch between ground & B+ (battery voltage). If it

DennisG01
03-29-2007, 08:38
Along with what Moondoggie had said about GP's and stuff, I'll add something to #2: Is the voltmeter "ticking" up and down, or is it simply just reading low. The "ticking" up and down would be the glow plug relay turning on and off every few seconds. I suppose even if the voltmeter is staying low and not ticking, it could maybe still be the GP relay - just not functioning properly (just a guess on that, though). An easy way to find out would be to hook-up a hand-held voltmeter to one of the GP's or directly to the output on the GP relay and see if it jives with what's going on at your on-dash voltmeter.

keplinger78
03-30-2007, 20:49
Hello All,

OK I found out the hard way what a few of the problems were.....I went to load up some stuff to haul in on my trailer for the guy nextdoor who is moving.

Went to pull the truck back over to my house...It wouldn't start,no glow plug light....I'm no diesel mechanic..well not yet:D . But went on the hunt fro this "controller or relay" I found it and the two rubbers were pulled of to the side...HUM sounds like this has happened before...So I checked the volts on one side..good,turn the swith on no volts on the other,so I jumped it with a screwdriver.My girl friend was sitting in the truck and said the lights on now....so I heated it up for about 10-12 seconds.Started right up with no smoke....I have the books on it and will test it tonight,but where do you get a controller? I saw one on ebay that said it was a relay but looks like mine?Autozone shows a relay for my year for $74.99.My book calls it a "controller"
Any help would be great here...I'm lost. If all the tests show its bad I'll order it and see if it looks the same.

Thanks Tom K

bobt
03-30-2007, 23:28
Several advertisers on The Diesel Page sell glow plug controllers for a '93. Check them out. Good luck.
Bob

Robyn
03-31-2007, 08:53
With a rig with that many years and miles under its belt I would be giving a good going over to the battery cables.

The grounds can and do go bad where they bolt to the block. The side terminal ends will corode under the covers where you cant see it.

Best to replace all the cables with new stock stuff.

Replacing the glow plug controler is a good idea.

The coolant temps sensor may also need to be on your hit list.
Now this is not the sensor for the gauge but the one up on the top by the T stat that controls engine functions.

As far as head gaskets go if the thing is not losing coolant or blowing coolant out the surge tank I would not be suspecting head gaskets.

If its blowing a lot of smoke from the oil filler when idling it may have some serious ring and or other internal issues.

As far as the big smoke issue on start up it could be some tired injectors too.
As they get loads of miles on them the POP pressure drops off and they can pee a stream rather than squirt a mist and this leds to all sort of issues including hard cold starts as well as loads of smoke.

But at any rate here at TDP we can help you fix almost anything "ALMOST" ;0)

Keep us posted

Robyn

baddiesel
03-31-2007, 14:31
in it's stock form you will not hear your turbo to resricted that was gms goal to make as quiet a diesel as they could to reach a wider market they thought. if you want to hear your turbo scream start with a new exaust system 3.5 or 4" new down pipe take a look some time at your down pipe it looks like it got ran over before they put it on at the factory and then modify your air box and it will scream it will even bark a little when you take your foot out of it. alot of us put cone filters on them if you do that keep an eye on it alot of them have a crome cap inside them that can get sucked off and go right thru the turbo into engine not pretty . good luck with your 6.5 there great engines once you get the bugs out the factory installed on them a good thing about yours you have a machanical pump alot more reliable than the 94 up with the electronic pumps