PDA

View Full Version : PMD / FSD RESISTOR ??

96ccdd
03-29-2005, 14:30
Iam getting ready to remote mount a new FSD.
1) Do I need the resistor or will it run on a default equal to #5 ?
2) Where is the best location to mount it out front in the grille area or under the truck some where ?

Thanks

Robyn
03-29-2005, 18:33
Get one of the remote mount kits from Kennedy diesel with the long wiring harness and get it as far away from the engine heat as you can without placing it in a wet or otherwise harmfull area of the truck. This little magic box is somewhat fragile. Behind the grill area in front of the left battery is not too bad. The big thing is to be sure it is on a heat sink and grounded well.

ace58
03-29-2005, 19:39
With the long harness JK sells, he shows mounting the cooler on a bracket behind drivers side battery, but up on fenderwell. Nice set up and no drilling either.

arrowheadracing
03-30-2005, 03:23
Just pull your resistor for your stock FSD and resuse it. I bought a # 9 and was suprised after the FSD went bad, that the stock FSD actually made the truck feel stronger. So you might want to consider that. I talked to a vendor on here about it and was a little confused about the conversation with it as it seemed to be misleading in theory of operation. But my advice, just reuse what was in the truck.

Iain
03-30-2005, 05:04
I put the #9 resistor in my truck and did not notice a difference. I really think that it is such a small difference between the #5 and the #9 that it does not really matter.

Kennedy
03-30-2005, 05:36
Any resistor or no resistor will yield the same results until TDC learn is initiated.

charliepeterson
03-30-2005, 19:18
No resister will set an engine light code.

Turbine Doc
03-30-2005, 21:09
Originally posted by charliepeterson:
No resister will set an engine light code. Not immediately in my case, I tried the no resistor start when I was trying to debunk the validity of Steak Sauces claim that fuel delivery could be changed on the fly with his "Custom high performance fuel controller" from my testing seems thae only thing it could do fast is empty your wallet of hard earned cash.

I pulled my PMD the resistor & sure enough as JK said PCM noticed no change, did a TDC offset learn, truck did not start and then set a code.

What I don't know if this is something unique to OBDII only,

For me this is one of those GM programing mysteries as GM manual says TDC offset is supposed to be a self learn as is PMD resistor value.

The ONLY way I have ever on my truck; through multiple PCM reflash tests/swaps made it TDC offset or notice cal resistor is missing was to initiate an offset learn, never has it self diagnosed the missing cal resistor nor self learned TDC offset.

Not saying you are wrong CP, just that on my truck it works as JK described it.

JohnC
03-31-2005, 09:04
I did a lot of testing on this a few years back. The conclusion I came to was the only way to ensure the PCM would read the new calibration value is to perform TDC Offset Learn then cycle the ignition off and on again. It read the resistor on power up (every time). No other sequence seemed to have a predictable effect, although if I were betting I'd bet it would not work. Apparently the PCM can "forget" the value and will then re-read it, but there did not seem to be any rhyme or reason to when this happens. It could be days, weeks, months, even years or maybe never. There are countless tales of having the FSD changed and then months later getting the calibration resistor fault DTC, only to find there wasn't one installed.

charliepeterson
03-31-2005, 19:32
Tim I think your right. The last time I swapped out a PMD it was on an OBD I truck where the SES came on at start up because I forgot to swap out the chip.