PDA

View Full Version : Fuel & volt Gauge reed high

cutlas
03-29-2007, 12:16
on my new to me 93 the fuel and voltmeter reed high. The previous owner stated it was like this for some time. The alternator was changed when this happened due to showing high volts but did not fix the problem. I pulled the gauge cluster out and cleaned the contacts but this did not help either. Any other ideas on what would cause both gauges to reed high?

BoatDriver
03-29-2007, 14:59
What is the battery reading, digital meter, while the engine is running?
Instrumentation is not very accurate.

sailun
03-29-2007, 18:16
fuel guage is especially carefree about accurate reporting. When I fill up, it says full + one-quarter. When it says 1/2 tank. it's about 26 or 27 gals into a 42 gal tank.

Always has, always will.

cutlas
03-29-2007, 22:19
Battery is reading 14.2 volts at an idle with the truck guage reading about 17 volts. The truck guage at start up goes to about 14 volts, hovers then jumps to about 16 or 17. This is independant of glow plugs.
The reason I thought boath guages might have a similar problem is they are side by side in the cluster.

DennisG01
03-30-2007, 09:33
14.2 volts is perfect - the truck gauge is off.

Shikaroka
03-30-2007, 09:54
fuel guage is especially carefree about accurate reporting. When I fill up, it says full + one-quarter. When it says 1/2 tank. it's about 26 or 27 gals into a 42 gal tank.

Always has, always will.

Mine is about the same.
I have thought about trying to calibrate it using a potentiometer and resister.

cutlas
03-30-2007, 22:39
Good thought about calibrating with resistors or potentiometer. Will check grounds by tank first.

fmthib
07-29-2007, 07:41
I was also unhappy with faulty readings. What worked for me was carefully lifting the needles off their pins and repositioning them. Its a good idea to have the dash panel level and stationary if you don't like doing this two-three times. Good luck, Fred

Robyn
07-29-2007, 09:10
If this was an issue that just popped up then it sounds like the voltage regulator in the dash cluster has issues.

I would bet that if you swapped the cluster with a good one from another rig that this bug would go away.

GM gauges have never been known for being super accurate BUTTTTTTTT they are usually fairly good at least within a volt on the gauge.

If you can swap the unit out and try it I would do that before going to any length to modify the setup.
Just a thought

Robyn