PDA

View Full Version : EGT probe install

flaptop
03-29-2007, 20:42
Hey, when you guys install an EGT probe do you remove the exhaust manifold to drill hole so as not to get metal shavings going through the turbo?

Edge install instructions say to just let the engine run as you drill hole in stepped up drill sizes.

What is your take on this?

DmaxMaverick
03-29-2007, 21:48
Just idle the engine and drill away. Wear eye protection! The exhaust gas is surprisingly cool, but the manifold will get hot (as will the bit and tap). Be careful to not overtighten the bushing, and use a good anti-seize. Some have reported cracks in the manifold, probably due to overtightening.

carco
03-30-2007, 17:26
Does anyone have definitive info as to what maximum pre turbo temps can safely be run for extended periods?? For any diesel engine? Max temp for a short period of time say 10-15 seconds?? I know this does not fir the above question but....... bob................

jsmiracle
03-31-2007, 20:21
I ditto DMaxMaverick..... You can see some pics of my install in the TDP's Photo Album section under my login name. I have not rechecked for cracks in the exhaust manifold. I love to monitor the EGT's, especially when towing.

I'll try to post a pic...

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/watermark.php?file=50&size=1 (javascript:;)

Good Luck,
Jim M.

FBJR
04-04-2007, 11:23
Does anyone have definitive info as to what maximum pre turbo temps can safely be run for extended periods?? For any diesel engine? Max temp for a short period of time say 10-15 seconds?? I know this does not fir the above question but....... bob................

I would like to know this too for the entire line of the Duramax engines. I have seen 1800* with my current tune on an LBZ.

On doing the EGT tap, I did it with no issues as most discribe.

carco
04-04-2007, 16:28
I am under the impression that 1800* is too high, pre or post sensor. I wonder, is 1300* pre turbo, OK??? 1350* ?? Is an extended 1300* very long grade 22000# gross OK?? bob............

jsmiracle
04-04-2007, 20:21
Guys, check this thread ...

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=23047&highlight=egt+max

Hope this helps,
Jim M.

carco
04-05-2007, 09:58
jsmiracle, thanks! I was unable to find that thread when I searched, prob my choice of words, surprised also that I do not remember the thread either. That is what I was looking for. Thanks again. bob............

carco
04-05-2007, 10:10
Any idea on other engines??? Cat 3126, Cummins 5.9, Ford 7.3$troke, 6.5 GM, ?????? are they about the same temps or different are they different designs/materials, that call for different max temp cutoffs? bob................

More Power
04-05-2007, 11:10
A few years ago, Cummins recommended a continuous EGT max of 1275. I don't know if that number has changed with the newer engines. The 6.5 should be kept at/below 1250. Don't know about the 7.3. These temps represent a continuous max - i.e. for as long as it takes to pull the longest grade.

The numbers for the Duramax are higher than those mentioned here, largely because of the aluminum cyl heads and the piston oil spray cooling system (high oil pressure, dedicated squirters, oil channel in pistons, etc.). GM performed comprehensive temperature analysis of the cyl heads early on. They found the aluminum heads produced much lower valve seat temps compared to those in cast iron heads. This is all in the SAE papers for the engine. The actual EGT numbers I quoted in the older thread about Duramax EGT came from a report I read in a related diesel magazine at the time that discussed the Duramax.

Jim

carco
04-06-2007, 06:05
Pretty amazeing More Power, that with all the hub bub about melting aluminum heads from the competitors a few years back, that the Duramax AL heads can actually take more heat!!? Valve seats run cooler!? I believe the CAT and Cummins I listed also have piston cooling, I know the 7.3 $troke version does have piston cooling. Thanks for the info, interesting. Any one else?? bob...........

madmatt
04-06-2007, 09:05
I've had 3406 Cats closing in on 2k. The manifold and turbo was completely glowing and the heat melted the washer fluid bottle, which on a 379 Pete, was about a foot from the downpipe!!!!!! The 3116, 3126 and 3208 are all also pretty tolerant of high EGTs as well.

FBJR
04-06-2007, 10:02
Thanks for the link guys. Is there anything a little more up to date though? If that was a LLY pre-production engine, there has to be more info by now.

Plus, how many of us are running "stock" setups ;)

More Power
04-06-2007, 13:47
According to GM, aluminum cyl heads were compared to cast iron heads, and they discovered that the area between the valve seats reached 320-350 degrees C in cast iron and 220 degrees C or less in aluminum. I'm assuming this was a full-load test.

Yes, I well remember the trash talk on the Ford & Dodge boards about the Duramax aluminum cyl heads.... :rolleyes:

Jim

FBJR
04-06-2007, 22:24
Great, but what about temps for the current motors, LBZ, LMM? Say stock and with basic mods?

More Power
04-06-2007, 23:39
I haven't seen the documentation for the LLY/LBZ regarding EGT limits. The alum cyl head temperature advantage would remain the same, when compared to cast iron. Compression ratio has declined a small amount, but piston design is the same - so piston heat tolerance should be the same.

I haven't read any Garrett info that would indicate whether the VNT is any more or less tolerant of high EGT.

I do know completely stock LLY's can be made to produce 1400 degrees. i.e. Run at 3000 rpm, full pedal up a 6% grade, and with a 10K load... We haven't run an LBZ on the hill yet with an EGT gauge, but I'd bet it too would run to 1400 under the same conditions.

Basic mods... if more fuel is part of the equation, they'll increase EGT under certain conditions.

Jim

FBJR
04-10-2007, 13:51
I have gone back to the tow tune since I was seeing 1800* under acceleration!! :eek:

With the Tow tune, I rarely see over 1400.

I did like the power of the extreme tune of the Evolution. But along with the high EGT temps and throwing the DIC way out I am playing it safe.

Is there a way to test the EGT probe??

carco
04-11-2007, 05:48
Yes, better safe than sorry. Make a few other mods to help enjoy the full potential of the Duramax w/out melting it down into a big $$$ pile of trouble. Still is fun to drive @ lower settings. bob...........

Jason.Benjamin
04-21-2007, 04:12
I have gone back to the tow tune since I was seeing 1800* under acceleration!! :eek:

I did like the power of the extreme tune of the Evolution.

From reading your posts, I taken note that you previously had a predator and now have the Edge Evo.

Did you do a comparision?
Opinons and thoughts about the two units?