PDA

View Full Version : Decarbonize?

Mikeandwendy74
03-30-2007, 15:52
Is there a way to decarbonize the inside of these 6.2's? Something to pump into when running to slam bang the cylinders clean? Curious cuz when I removed my old injectors they were pretty covered with crud.

High Risk
03-30-2007, 17:07
I've seen my dad and other older folks dump small amounts of water in while it's running. Cleans them right up.

Mikeandwendy74
03-30-2007, 18:19
right into the intake manifold? hmmm maybe the water blasts the carbon off the pistons, anyone else have any ideas?

NH2112
03-30-2007, 21:14
What High Risk said - pull the top off the air cleaner, have someone hold the engine at about 12-1500RPM, or energize the fast idle solenoid and adjust it to that speed, and mist water from a spray bottle right into the intake. It'll flash to steam in the cylinder and soften the carbon deposits right up.

murphyslaw
03-30-2007, 23:42
ok so for some reason my post is gone.

I have used seafoam. you pour it in till the engine dies, let it sit for 10-15. lighter back up and it will blow black for a good while.

damork
03-31-2007, 20:58
GM sells a product called something like Top Engine Cleaner or Combustion Chamber conditioner that typically was used to pour down carburetors to help clean out carbon. Instructions were to run your engine until fully warmed up, then pull the aircleaner and alternately feed it to both throats of the carb while idling but not enough to stall the engine. When you are just about out, then you flood out the engine.

In a 6.2 GM service class in the mid 80's, the same product was recommended for cleaning up carbon from the combustion chambers. I used it on my 6.2 Jimmy when I changed out the injectors. The procedure was to fill every cylinder with this liquid, set overnight, rotate the engine 1/2 turn and repeat. Only turn the engine by hand. After the second treatment, turn a few times by hand to clean it out, then spin by the starter with cloths over the openings to avoid spray. Install the new injectors, start engine to clear the rest of the crud then change oil.

I did this and before installing the injectors I could see the shiny piston tops. It really cleaned up the way the truck ran.

Mikeandwendy74
04-01-2007, 05:41
Good ideas folks I'm gonna try a few cus i know im loaded up, i'll give my results we'll try to find the best method.