PDA

View Full Version : Throttle position sensor

jfbushee
04-01-2007, 05:21
I have just replaced the I.P. on this engine at the same time I replaced the T.P.S. tried to find out how to adjust it but can not find any info. Could someone please point me in the right direction on this issue. Thank you.

Robyn
04-01-2007, 10:27
Howdy

Well there are gauges to set the TPS but iff you dont have these little goodies Hmmmm

If you still have the old TPS look at the marks left on the unit by the bolts.
Install your new unit and set the spacing on the bolts in relation to the slots so the new one is the same.
Take it out a drive it.
The TPS tells the ECM whats going on with the throttle and thus allows the shifts to be calibraqted correctly.

This all translates to throttle pressure. One way will get you soft mushy shifts and can cause tranny troubles and the other way will give you harsher and later shifts. Better to be a little firm than mushy.
You really need to get ahold of the factory specs on the setting and do it by the numbers.

I have done a couple of these by the WAG method but its really tough to try and explain in print on how to do it by feel.

Too many years of doing things without all the proper tools

If you can duplicate the location your old one had in the new one you should be OK.

Hope this helps

Robyn

jfbushee
04-01-2007, 14:30
Thank I will give it a shot and let you know what happens

More Power
04-01-2007, 16:30
There's an article in the Member's subscriber section that explains how to adjust the TPS (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/tps.htm). :)

Jim