PDA

View Full Version : Is this the turbo drain-back?

TurboDiverArt
04-04-2007, 07:47
Hi all,

Got a question. I’m determined to finally fix the slight oil leak. I was under there last night and I have a leaking oil line. Typical and as far as I can tell these are original GM lines with 200K on them so I can’t complain. I ordered the Lubrication Specialties kit for $225 with new a replacement cooler.

I also noticed that I have a spot on the passenger side of the intercooler as well. I will check the transmission cooler lines more closely this weekend. On a quick inspection it does not seem to be transmission fluid or coming from the cooler lines. What I do see is some oil from what I suspect is the turbo’s oil drain back. I can’t tell for sure without really crawling in there. From the bottom looking up it appears to be a tube that feeds directly into a plate on the block. Plate has 4 bolts holding the corners to the engine block, 2 upper bolts have larger heads than the lower ones (I think I got that right). Seems to go where you would expect to find a mechanical fuel pump on a gas engine, front passenger side of the block, just above the oil pan rail. I’m surprised cause it looks like the black hose is about the size of a heater hose and held on by a standard constriction clamp. I’d be surprised if GM would have used such a clamp. I think there may be oil dripping from there as well. Seems to be dripping to the frame and running onto the backside of the intercooler core. Is this hose the turbo drain-back? Is it prone to leaking? Seems to leak from the top portion of the hose, maybe at the turbo. Not a lot of oil, more like a wet sludge which tells me the leak is very slow and the oil hangs around before making it’s way down getting dirty with road grime.

If this is it, does it make sense to pull the turbo and reseal the drain-back? Is it also a hose clamp connection to the turbo? I would have expected a threaded hose connection at the turbo and not a rubber hose being used by the factory but rather a corrugated hard line.

Thanks for any help!
Art.

gmctd
04-04-2007, 07:58
Correct identification, Art - that is simple drain line, no pressure there, but the gasket at the turbo flange is hi-temp material, heat hardens, and can leak.

Requires new dealer-only hi-temp gasket - you'll need to pull the metal tube, use a wire-wheel to remove that concrete-hard gasket from the tubing flange, maybe replace the rubber hose section, also

DennisG01
04-04-2007, 09:29
Art, I had a similar situation with my turbo drain tube. I tightened the clamps and all has been well since. I think I also snugged down those 4 bolts, also.

TurboDiverArt
04-05-2007, 09:35
Thanks for the info. I'll try snugging everything up when I replace the oil lines.

Art.

stingthieves
04-11-2007, 18:48
Can anyone help me with the GM part number for the turbo to tube flange gasket? My dealer cannot!

stingthieves
04-16-2007, 06:07
Can anyone help me with the GM part number for the turbo to tube flange gasket? My dealer cannot!

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l161/stingthieves/bump.gif

gmctd
04-16-2007, 06:36
Wierd - it's depicted under the turbo breakdown drawing in the parts manual - maybe he can find it in the oiling system breakdown

diesel65
04-16-2007, 15:12
Gasket, Turbo Oil Rtn Pipe (upr)....14098654 Grp# 3.358

Hose, Turbo Oil Rtn ....................10149660 Grp# 3.358

Gasket, Turbo Oil Rtn Pipe (lwr).....12551502 Grp# 3.358

These are 97' book part numbers, they may have been changed.......

stingthieves
04-17-2007, 20:51
AHHHhhhhhh --> I'm a happy camper again

Thank - you

I will call my buddy in the morning!

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l161/stingthieves/cid_005501c770c7da7df8800B727C7CSte.gif