PDA

View Full Version : Injector line nut socket

David Brady
01-14-2004, 13:57
Does anybody know if there is a socket available to get the lower two lines on the fuel pump? I had an old socket given to me, 5/8" mostly cut away except the head and toe was grooved to slide over the line. This was said to be a special socket for the 6.2, but I never checked the 6.2 and the 6.5 lines are 3/4". I made my own by cutting up a deep well cheap socket but it didn't handle enough torque to help me. Do I need to pull the pump back out far enough to use a wrench? Thanks,

ucdavis
01-14-2004, 14:11
I did mine using a standard open end wrench, held at an angle. It's a bit inelegant, but it worked & all's tight w/no leaks. I may have used a short wrench to minimize the angle, but don't recall exactly. I do remember those two were the most trouble of the whole job on the removal.

charliepeterson
01-14-2004, 19:59
You can find open ended wrenches with offset 30* and 60* ends. Keep flipping the ends and you can't get stuck. I use snap on but I think sears sells them also now.

LanduytG
01-15-2004, 02:16
I use a box end S wrench with a notch cut out just big enough for the line to fit through. Works great and was cheap. You can get S wrenchs at most any auto parts store.
Greg

damork
01-15-2004, 05:21
I don't have the part number, but I picked up a Snap On catalog and found a 3/8 drive crowfoot but instead of it being a true crowfoot it had a 12 point hex end on it. I had previously bought one for a 6.2 but it was smaller. I believe they were about $20 each, but I didn't want to mess around fabricating. Not many tool makers offer this kind of tool. MAC might offer it, but Sears and most of the average tool stores don't.