PDA

View Full Version : 1st LBZ oil change, HOLY filter Torque

kburati
04-04-2007, 09:11
What does the factory use to put these filters on? A 500 lb gorilla? I had to use a 2 foot long steel tie down bar over the handle of the filter wrench and even then it took all the leverage I could manage under the truck to undue that filter! Same thing with the drain plug, they must use an impact wrench to install those. Anyways, fumoto valve is on there now and I simply hand tighten my oil filters so this won't be a problem again.

FrankA
04-04-2007, 09:28
check for leaks on the filter--hand tighten might not be enough--I use a filter wrench for oil filter and rubberband wrench for trans filter.

kburati
04-04-2007, 12:58
I'll check but hand tightening worked on my LB7 for 6 years and has worked on my 1500 for 13 years so unless the LBZ is different I imagine it should be fine.

DieselMonk
04-04-2007, 13:19
What does the factory use to put these filters on? A 500 lb gorilla? I had to use a 2 foot long steel tie down bar over the handle of the filter wrench and even then it took all the leverage I could manage under the truck to undue that filter! Same thing with the drain plug, they must use an impact wrench to install those. Anyways, fumoto valve is on there now and I simply hand tighten my oil filters so this won't be a problem again.

Hahaha! Nothing new... had the same thing happen to me more than once. Since then I let the dealer do the first service. If a gorilla put it on, a different gorilla can take it off! :D

JohnC
04-04-2007, 14:46
--hand tighten might not be enough--

I know KBurati, and for him, hand tight is probably tight enough! ;)

nlp
04-05-2007, 12:21
Hand tight is plenty. Filter will tighten itself over time.

jbplock
04-05-2007, 13:20
A little silicone grease (or Super O-Lube) on both sides of the gasket works well too ... :)