PDA

View Full Version : Cracked front differential...

coinball
04-04-2007, 14:13
Is this common? Alot of front diffs I see listed on www.car-parts.com say they're cracked...

Side note - if anyone has one they want to sell me for cheap, that'd be great :) (3.42 ratio btw)

More Power
04-04-2007, 15:45
I don't hear of many cracked front axle housings. Off the top of my head, I don't remember discussing any in the emails I've seen - in 11 years....

The 1/2-ton front axle housing and R&P in Lil Red have held up to 4WD launches at the track - in a truck that dyno'ed at more than 500 rw horsepower and 1000 lb-ft of torque. :) This included runs up to ~120 mph in 4WD. I did twist off a stub gear in the front axle disconnect assy once cuz the 4WD didn't engage till after the rear wheels broke loose.... :o Not the axle's fault that time...

Now, the NP-208 transfer case is another story. I had one crack in the 1982 GMC I once owned, and I've heard of others.

Used front axles assy's are available at auto salvage centers for about $400. Last time I checked, anyway.

Jim

Robyn
04-04-2007, 20:56
If you are refering to the 95 its very possible since the housing is all aluminum.

If the mounts get worn a tad they can allow things to tweek and then they break.

DA BIG ONE
04-05-2007, 03:50
Any front collision that sends shock from wheel to diff will damage case IMHO.