PDA

View Full Version : need power w/o killing my motor?>?>?

SportSter
04-08-2007, 01:45
I have a great 94 2500 Turbo Diesel with 175k mile that is the definition of a 6.5l TD. Good and reliable but IT's a dog...... I have a new silverado but i got this to pull my 32' Regal:D (10k pound boat:( ). It pulls it okay on the flat and horribly on the mountain hills going up to the lake. ( I have my foot all the way down and im dipping down to 40!!!!:eek: Not good when i have big rigs passing me!:confused: )

Vehicle doesnt smoke at all,:D (unless i do a brake stand or something stupid:p ) seems to have level power through the curve and currently has 4" exhuast, thats it.

1) the 4x4 doesnt want to engage, if i shift it from 2wd to nuetral, play with the shifter (nuetral park etc..) then put it into 2 wd then 4wd it works, about %20-%30 of the time. Once i get it to go into 4x4 i can shift it in and out, to nuetral, and to 4x4 low with no problems. NOTE: when i shift from neutral to 2 wd sounds like something is grinding a little bit, is this normal?:confused: My 05 silverado doesnt do this but its electronic and shift on the fly..... Any ideas on why its not instantly going in and the little grinding?? Sensor maybe? (hopefully!)

2) What kind of power upgrades can i do for this gutless wonder? I was on SSDiesel Supply earlier today and they make two chips one is a 40hp 80tq the other is a 80 hp 160tq chip for it. Would the 80 hp chip be dumb to do to a high mileage vehicle or neither? If i where to do this i would probly do it in conjunction with marine injectors, new downpipe, intake, upgraded water pump if that makes any diffrence.

(down pipe and intake more to cool the motor than anything else, it gets hot when im pulling up the mountain.)

Are those dumb mods considering im using it for a hualer, and a 4x4 play vehicle? Also I am considering of putting in marine pistions and compression when the motor blows a gasket. Yey or Nay on that? :confused:

In addition, let me know please of other sites or people who have 6.5l TD performance stuff, i cant find many....

Thanks all!! By the way I got the truck for only 3k! No dents or stains and the paint still looks new!

sturgeon-phish
04-08-2007, 04:14
Do a few searches and you will quickly see the consenus is for your year truck, is gauges, you've got exhaust, later mod intake and cooling. By the factory reccomendations you are at the towing limit if you have 3.73 rear. Once you get these mods done you can go big dollar mods. I would not go with extensive mods untill you have monitoring equipment to keep from trashing things.
Jim

bcbigfoot
04-08-2007, 09:09
The downpipe is the most restrictive part of the exhaust, as much as 50% crushed from factory, you really need that before you will see any improvements in HP, you probably didn't see much HP/Torque increase with 4" exhaust if the downpipe is stock. Has the restrictive snorkel in the fender inlet been removed? I have read that some early 94's were mechanical injection pumps, check to see what your case is for sure, mechanical or electronic pump/engine? Then you will know which way to go, a chip or turn up the fuel in the mechanical pump and increase boost with a turbo master wastegate control, You should get a boost/EGT gauges before a chip or turning up fuel. The HO water pump and crossover are likely needed since it will be a tow rig. If you are having heating problems pull the rad and clean the rad and air conditioner heat exchanger, you will not believe how dirty it gets. Don't just look in with a flashlight and figure it looks clean, do yourself a favour and pull it, can't stress it enough, you will really be doing yourself and the 6.5 a favour by washing it out. The books offered forsale on this site are really great even if you are a journeyman mechanic, they save a lot of money trial and error in the long run.

a5150nut
04-08-2007, 10:44
What equipment do you have? Trans, gears (should be 4:10), tire size.

First thing with heating problems, Clean the radiator. Remove it so you can flush the trash out of ac condensor and oil cooler. If your are in an area where bugs or debrie are a problem place nylon black screen behind the grill, in front of the radiator to hel prvent futare problems. Then duel thermostat set up and high volume pump, booth are 97 pert numbers.

For the type of pulling you are doing GAGES! Pyro as soon as possible!
I have the milder chip in my truck and wish I had gone more. But they weren't available then...........

A little more info on your truck would help and what kind of hills are you pulling? SoCal, NorCal, Rockies, or that big one headed north on I 35 just into Oklahoma from Texas!

The help is here. Just hang onto your keyboard for the ride.

SportSter
04-08-2007, 18:01
Im pulling in Nor Cal (Shasta Lake) steap grades. We are in the valley basin of the coastal mountains. (google earth redding and shasta lake if you want to see a great area and large climate changes!) Im not sure what the grade is, but there enough the post 45 mph signs on the down hill part. As far as geering i have a 4:10 What other info do you want?

a5150nut
04-08-2007, 22:27
I take it you have an automatic? Got to love those hills up your way. Been through there many times since 1973.

What realy helped mine to climb over Donner and up hwy 70 was opening up the exaust, K&N filter, and chip. I have since added a potentiometer to the boost sensor so I run 11/12 lbs max instead of 7/8 lbs. Tire size can reduce you pulling abilty. I have 4:10s but with 285's it works out to 3.73. If I get back to pulling my 36 ft fithwheel I will get a second set of wheels and run 265's. Still wish I could get a Gearvendors OD or add a brownie behind the transfer case.

A 6.5 isn't going to blow everthing else off the road. Lean it's limitations and enjoy the steady pulling power.