PDA

View Full Version : Dually drum brakes

Mikeandwendy74
04-07-2007, 20:30
Quick question...My rear brakes are so touchy after new lines, cylinders etc....makes me nervous driving them they will lock at slow speed, I think I may have adjusted them incorrectly when slappin' em back together. Anyone know the correct adjustment procedure for rear drums on a 1 ton full floater? Thanks for any help.

redbird2
04-07-2007, 21:30
I adjust these brakes every day I normaly adjust up tight and then back off 4 time not 4 full truns but when you have the adjuster tool or screw driver through the hole you engauge the star wheel and move it one time the max you can move it do that 4 times.

that has always severed me good for the last 25 years, grease on the brake pads will cause lock up also.

hope this helps

Mikeandwendy74
04-08-2007, 06:54
Thanks man I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Now when you're adjusting them, with the wheels on, which direction is loosening them? drivers side twist the screw up or down? Passenger side?

Robyn
04-08-2007, 09:01
Make sure you installed the shorter shoe (one has shorter lining length)
on the front side.
If done backwards they will reeeeeeeeeeeeeeely get tweeky

Mikeandwendy74
04-08-2007, 10:09
OOOH these babies are tweaky i tell ya :) I think i'm going to buy brand new shoes and install them, the old shoes didn't look very worn but i like to go overkill. I'll check to make sure they are in the right way and adjust them accordingly thanks for the tips.

d.h.
04-10-2007, 23:11
When you are tightering shoes you can hear the adjust wheel click up as they tighten.If you overtighten you can insert a small screwdriver into hole lift up on star lock and back off with another screwdriver.I usually adjust up until I feel slight drag on drum.Redbird2 probably knows adjust better than me.It,s just worked for me.Goodluck