PDA

View Full Version : "In cab" air filter questions

DaveH77
04-08-2007, 16:34
Greetings all,

Great forum here, found it with a google search for "cab filter" information.

My '01 Chevy has the cab filters, and they are a real lung saver out on the dusty farm roads.

Just "upgraded" to an '04 GMC SLT w dual zone heating and all the rest of the fancy doo-dahs I really don't need or want, but I just had to have the heated leather seats!

BIG shock and suprise to me to find out some idiots at GM decided to delete the in cab filters!!
(believe me when I say it pains me to put idiot and GM in the same sentence, but in this case they deserve it)

I found this great thread that sounds like the filters can be installed in later trucks but not sure if that also applies to the dual zone HVAC ducting or not.
http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=14147

My '04 is already dirtier inside after one month than my filter-fitted '01 was after 1 1/2 years!
GRRRRRR......IDIOTS!!!
Don't they know working men actually use these "professional grade" trucks off the pavement?

Sorry for the rant, but I am disgusted to have this beautiful SLT trashed with dust all the time.

Does anyone know if filters can be retrofitted into the dual zone ducts?

If not, then I guess I need an '01, '02, or '03-'04 w/o dual zone HVAC?
Am I correct that this is the only way to have in cab air filters in a newer GM truck?

ANY help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Mitchagain
04-08-2007, 19:08
Yes they can be retro fitted and there is a guy buy the name of Tom on a similar diesel site that will be glad to help you. Send me a PM and I'll send you to him. The cost is more than reasonable, and the installation is a snap.

2tough2park
04-30-2007, 15:46
I'd be interested in that info as well. That would definately be a nice upgrade. Don't know if my 06 has the filter or not, but I'll let you know Thrusday night. I'll be driving down to my parents house in Richmond. I pass a sewage treatment plant along the way. Stoopid Virginia! Hooray Interstate 95!

JZ
06-12-2007, 19:27
For those who are interested, I just did a retrofit of cabin air filters into my 07 LMM CC LTZ (new body style). That portion of the HVAC duct appears to be a carry over of the previous body style (03 etc.). Had an 01 CC DA with the filters and the new truck seemed to be collecting dust much faster than the old one. Found the Fram activated charcoal filters at Meijer in Michigan for ~$16. Should help with the dust and pollen....

JZ

2tough2park
06-13-2007, 10:09
For those who are interested, I just did a retrofit of cabin air filters into my 07 LMM CC LTZ (new body style). That portion of the HVAC duct appears to be a carry over of the previous body style (03 etc.). Had an 01 CC DA with the filters and the new truck seemed to be collecting dust much faster than the old one. Found the Fram activated charcoal filters at Meijer in Michigan for ~$16. Should help with the dust and pollen....

JZ

So it just drops in or what? Is the spot the filter installs an easy access or will I have to take the entire dash apart?

GSPEED
06-13-2007, 16:33
I just purchased an 2007 2500 cc 4wd lbz here in phoenix and would like info on the dust filter retro fit as well

my 01 tahoe has them maybe if i tear it apart and look at them I can identify what I need??

Thanks really looking forward to the diesel towing power

Gspeed

JZ
06-13-2007, 20:27
Essentially, you have to drop the hush panel on the passenger side. The two outer screws will drop it enough to get at what you need (the center screw is a bear to get at in my LTZ but I found I didn’t need to remove it). You’ll then find the cut-out area that is webbed over in the duct. You have to cut it out to access the cavity to put the filters in. To make a cover, I used a 1-1/4 wide piece of aluminum with 1-1/4” wide weather seal (both from Lowes). I cut the aluminum ~12” long, drilled a hole to match the existing unused boss on the duct, and applied the weather seal to prevent leaks. There is a slot at the front for the aluminum to fit in and the screw holds the back. – very nice fit.

As Mitchagain said, there are some pictures out on the web that gave me the confidence to do it. Instead of the dremmel, I used a hot knife (one that fits in a soldering iron) to cut the web out (Michael’s had one in stock here in Michigan). The filters from my 2001 were a little wide so you do have to be careful putting them in. All seems to be working well. Still wish the extra money I paid for the new truck included them from the factory but at least a fairly easy retrofit worked.

I can email some pictures of the final configuration if you’re interested.

JZ

DmaxMaverick
06-13-2007, 21:18
Good job, JZ!

Contact Jim. Sounds like the works of a very good article. Might as well take some credit for a job well done. An article will immortalize it. This has been talked about here for a while, but no one's put all the pieces together.