PDA

View Full Version : Your own vegetable oil

kevin77
04-08-2007, 17:02
With spring approaching, is anyone going to plant a crop to convert to Vegetable oil?

I tried planting sunflowers last year (about an acre just as a test) and the birds, deere, racoons, woodchucks, and anything else on four legs really appreciated the snack.

Kevin

bbbear
04-08-2007, 17:41
With spring approaching, is anyone going to plant a crop to convert to Vegetable oil?

Kevin
Why plant when you can get it free?:D I get it from two Japanese restaurants. Any water is cooked out because they pour it from the fryer directly into my jerry cans and call me when they're full. I let the cans sit and settle for a couple of weeks, then pour it into three, 5 micron filters ( greasecar.com ) suspended from three ( about 4" ) holes cut into the top of a 55 gallon drum ( $5.00 for the drum, about $12.00 for ea filter.). I leave about 2 inches in the jerry can and discard the remained.. after all, it's bio-degradable. The filtered WVO is then pumped ( barrel pump $19.00 at Harbor Frieght ) into the fuel tank.

After the WV) leaves the fuel tank it enters a heated fuel sump champer that's made from a MB pen glow plug, ( about $13.00 ) black plumbing pipes, snap on thermostat, ( any hardware store ) then into a clear filter, (dieselgiant.com about $3. ea ) then into an electric boost fuel pump, then under the hood into another clear filter, a Stanadyne or Racor 2 micron water separator/filter, then into another glow plug heater, another inline filter, then into the injector pump.

Cheap, simple and you can diy! :D ;)

kevin77
04-08-2007, 18:50
Because sunflowers are pretty. :D

bbbear
04-08-2007, 19:20
Because sunflowers are pretty. :D

Well, Geeez, we plant all kinds of flowers, in fact we bought this old 1986 GMC 6.2L Diesel just to haul garden stuff.....;) but Wife would kill me if I smashed her sunflowers just to collect their blood...:D

Murphy
04-08-2007, 21:02
the birds, deere, racoons, woodchucks, and anything else on four legs really appreciated the snack.

Kevin

All can be converted to biodiesel..

Animal fat makes a high energy content fuel.... The fatter those animals get, the better your yeild per acre..

DieselMonk
04-09-2007, 04:46
deer also like corn :( try rape seed. That's the stuff the boys driving with in Europe. I was thinking to plant some too, but then I needed a press to get the oil out (cold press) and I don't have one. So how would you or do you get the oil out of the plant? Do you have a press???

kevin77
04-10-2007, 18:58
I was just going to see how much I could grow, if I couldn't press it into oil, I'd just let the wife have it to feed the birds in the winter...

Kevin

moody
04-11-2007, 11:57
just a thought. if you don't have a press to extract the oil with you might try grinding the seed and using diesel to extract the oil. Industry uses hexane to extract the oil and than evaporates the the hexane out. Here your end product would be a diesel & vegetable oil mix.

Nelsoncat
07-03-2007, 19:59
We planted 120 acres of sunflowers this spring to press for biodiesel. Our press is to be delivered in a couple weeks. Sunflowers are a cool plant for the dry corners of my irrigated fields and fields without water