PDA

View Full Version : Surging?

Horse_gal_jen
04-10-2007, 09:22
We have noticed over the last few months, our truck will surge when sitting at an idle.

We just had the fuel fitler head assembly repalced and some new fuel lines, and it had all 8 injectors replaced in December.

Seems we have had a lot of fuel replated problems lately, so I am concerned there may still be another.

ONe dealership mentioned the fuel pressure regulator might be failing, but I had the guy check it last week and he says it is fine.

Is this surging normal or could there be antoher problem?

copperhead
04-10-2007, 11:51
My surging condition was due to the pressure regulator. Dealer replaced under emission warranty for $0.

D-max Man
04-10-2007, 15:45
How many miles are on your truck?

If it is less than 100,000 it should be covered under warranty but if it is over they will want over $400.00 for the part alone + labor.

I have a brand new GM regulator if you need it. I will let you have it for $100.00.

Horse_gal_jen
04-11-2007, 07:57
the truck has 152000 on it. We do have a dealer warranty but they cover hardly anything!

and their mechanics can't fix ANYTHING!!

Is it hard to change?

thansk D-max, that sounds like a great deal, but I live in canada, I'm willing to bet it's too far away from you to get the part?

Thanks

D-max Man
04-11-2007, 11:11
It is only held on with 2 screws but it is a tight fit to get to it. It has been a while sense I changed one but I think it was a fairly easy job - But then I have been a mechanic for 28 years.

It is a small part that can be shipped anywhere fairly easily.

carco
04-11-2007, 17:02
There was an ECM reflash for some (?) years to address a surge @ idle or just off idle like through a parking lot. bob..............

Horse_gal_jen
04-12-2007, 07:58
thanks D-Max, should be able to change it then.
that's the benefit of being a woman, I have small hands! lol

Going to stop by and see the guy at the garage again and get him to check the pressure regulator. Last time he checked it it was within 2% of what it should be, but that was with an injector gone, so I should get it checked again to be sure.

IF that's the case and it is going, how long before it fails completely? and what will happen if it does? is this somethign i can hold of on changing until I need to, or should it be chagned right away?

D-max Man
04-12-2007, 18:17
The problem with them is rust. The tolerances in these fuel system components are so tight that even a small amount of water getting past the separator can cause rust which causes the regulator to stick thus responding late. A late response prompts the computer to call for more pressure which frees up the regulator and then the pressure goes high thus causing the computer to request less pressure and it sticks again and so on. This then causes your surging.

D-max Man
04-12-2007, 20:11
I just realized that it is held on by 3 bolts - not two as I stated above. (Told you it had been a while sense I changed one).