PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust temp. guage

jeffrey b
03-30-2005, 15:54
Can the members tell me where the best place is to mount the sending unit. The down pipe, or the exhaust manifold itself. If the exhaust manifold, exactly where do I drill for the best set-up and how to drill to keep parts out of the exhaust and turbo? Also, has anyone got noise from carbon in the heads, and if so how to get rid of it. My engine has a slight knock from the passenger side, something like lifter noise. Will an injector cleaner help?
Jeff

Chris611
03-30-2005, 16:43
I just installed isspro gauges and drilled into the exhaust manifold right below the mounting flange for the turbo. There is a rectuangular boss and I drilled right into that. I first used a 1/8" bit to start and then went to the larger 7/16" for a 1/4" NPT Tap. It was acutally pretty easy. Leave the truck running when you do this (drilling & tapping) and the drill shavings will be blown outward. Be careful, they are not spiral shavings, but small pieces of casting. Also be careful of the fan and belt. I mounted the box on the firewall to the left and down of the steering column. I used a self tapping screw and went through the firewall. Hope this helps, I'm sure others will chime in also.

Chris

ace58
03-30-2005, 18:14
I installed the sender in the crossover pipe on the drivers side right below the flange. Installing pre or post turbo does not matter, as long as operating temperature is within recommended limits for sender location.

MTTwister
03-31-2005, 07:42
Jeff - dig around on Kennedy's web site - he's got some great "where-to" pics. I did mine Pre Turbo in that raised area also. Engine off, and used a lot of wheel bearing grease on the drill bits and taps. Much easier than I expected, and didn't have to remove anything to get at it, either. The ISSPRO gauges have colored areas for EGT's that match up to Pre- or Post- turbo probe install. Temps are indicated the same, just the colored "danger" areas reflect the different probe location / temp differentials.