PDA

View Full Version : BD TorqLoc - Electronic Torque Converter Lock-Up Control

More Power
10-14-2003, 08:52
BD TorqLoc
Electronic Torque Converter Lock-Up Control
By Ron Schoolcraft

http://www.TheDieselPage.com/reviews/torqloc.htm

Product review: The BD TorqLoc provides additional driver control of GM's 6.5TD and 4L80-E automatic transmission by providing automatic and manual operation of the lock-up torque converter. Improved engine grade-braking and lower transmission temperatures are things all owners can appreciate while towing, and this is what the BD TorqLoc was designed to deliver. Go here to learn how to install and use a TorqLoc.

CareyWeber
10-14-2003, 09:03
Morepower,

Has BD gotten the TorqLoc working, so that no codes are thrown on the OBD II (96 and newer) trucks?

Carey

Shad
10-14-2003, 09:44
That would have been nice to have when I was pulling my camper throught blackhills. It drove me nuts every time you would start to decend down a hill and had to ride the brakes all the way down. How much is the kit??

Shad

Dimsdale
10-14-2003, 11:23
I second CareyWeber's question: does it work on OBD2 vehicles? The author does not address this, and emailed questions to the company have elicited no response, so I have to assume the answer is no.

If it were yes, I would buy one today.

More Power
10-14-2003, 11:52
I have emailed Brian Roth at BD about use with the OBDII vehicles. I'll post his response when I hear back.

Otherwise, the author Ron Schoolcraft (ronniejoe) should be able to answer your questions about the TorqLoc.

MP

HowieE
10-14-2003, 14:27
Brian Roth told me at Rendezvous 4 that BD did not intend to engineering support this product any more than they already had. That was in responce to the problems I was having with the Torque Loc installed on my 1997. If you consider using the Torque Loc on the OBD2 trucks you will have to be satisfied with using it manualy which can be done.

More Power
10-14-2003, 17:38
Brian Roth replied:

"Jim,

All though as we had noted that there are some unique vehicles out there we have good success up to the Allison applications. The difference is in the trucks wiring, so if problems do exist, the manual covering that year would be required to determine the right wire color (VSS signal).

Brian"

tanker
10-14-2003, 18:04
Unlike Howie E. I have a 95 Suburban with the "BD" Torq-Loc and exhaust brake. Mine works wonderful, the way it should. Saves brakes, slows me down, and drops transmission (and engine coolant) temps by about 100* F. I have also traveled while towing with Howie E. and his is a pain in the A**. Both suburbans, both with the "BD" torq-Loc and "BD" exhaust brake. Night and day differance between mine and his. Howie has been out to "BD" (from New Jersey to British Columbia)at least two times with his truck and they could not figure it out in their shop. :rolleyes: So I would also caution using it on 96-up GM 4L80E transmissions. When I installed mine, I had to make several phone calls to "BD" (at least they were 3 hours behind us here in the East coast) The directions that they supplied included Ford, Dodge, and GM all in the same pamphlet. (Why? :eek: ) Very confusing to say the least, but somehow it worked. I would ask for some satisfied 96-up owners opinion prior to getting one, or be satisfied to operate as Howie does. It is a great device on the early trucks, but I must agree with Howie on the 96-up trucks. smile.gif

rjschoolcraft
10-14-2003, 19:25
HowieE:

What kind of problems do you have with your TorqLoc?

I second Tanker's opinion on the BD installation manual. It left a lot to be desired. As stated in the write-up, the GM service manauls were a big help. I had no problems with the install, but I did spend considerable time studying the wiring diagrams in the GM manual before making each connection to ensure that I understood things.

So far, the installation on my 95 appears to work as advertised. It has me thinking about an exhaust brake now.

HowieE
10-15-2003, 05:50
ronniejoe

It been over 2 years since I istalled the Torque Loc so I can not give specifics about the problems with the manual, other than to saw I had several hours on the phone during the installation as a result of the lack of seperation between the 3 manufactures they tried to incorporate in one manual.
As for the on going problem. When attempting to use the Torque Loc in the "auto mode" in OD it will set an 0742 code each time you decelerate below 40mph and reaccelerate. Looks like the OBD2 computers compare engine speed to trans speed and if it sees something other than as programed it sets the code and puts the trans in lime mode. Limp mode sets the trans line pressure at 150+ lbs and causes all shifts to be very hard.
On my first trip to BD I spent a day and a half there. They had an outside contractor design the Torque Loc. He and I spend some time road testing the truck. At that time Brian offered to ahve me stay over a third night and they would attempt a redesign. Having worked all my life with electronic design I knew an over night was not enough. I called the designer several months later to see if any thing had transpired. He said BD had not authorized any additional time to it. I had also contacted a fellow in Calif. who reflashes the computers for most reseller and he could not see a way to overcome the limits of the OBD2.
On my second trip to BD Brian said they would no longer support the product and we worked out a settlement.
For those with OBD2 trucks and considering an installation I would say. If you are willing to operate it manually go ahead. The advantages of trans temperature control are signifcant. If you are installing an exhaust brake some form of converotr lock is a must. At over 16,000 lbs I can hold road speed going down a 5% grade.

rjschoolcraft
10-15-2003, 06:26
HowieE:

Thanks! When you say "operate it manually," do you mean that you have to switch the TorqLoc off before reaccelerating after engine braking? Also, what gear do you use when applying the exhaust brake? Are there any restrictions to applying the exhuast brake in lower gears?

This is the kind of thing I was worried about when Jim asked me to do this. I guess that I was lucky that my truck is a 95. I would think that BD should have information like this on the website regarding later model trucks. Understandably, you must be very irritated over the misleading advertising and inability to live up to the promises.

I must say, so far I am pleased with the installation on my Suburban. I wish that I had known about this issue when writing the article (blame that on me for not doing enough research), I would have put some caveats in it regarding the OBDII trucks. As it is, I believe that I have truthfully reported the information that I had available at the time and believe that the article faithfully represents pre-1996 installations.

I have always used engine grade braking (not with an exhaust brake) extensively when towing in mountains by selecting lower speed ranges. This includes several thousand miles with a 1967 C10 pickup with a THM400 non-lock-up converter. Until recently, I did not have a trans temp gage, so I don't know what kind of heat load I was generating. At the next opportunity, I will do some comparisons to find out (that may not be until next summer, though). The TorqLoc will clearly improve the engine grade braking capability of my rig. My dad is even considering installing one on his 454 gas/4L80E motorhome now.

[ 10-15-2003, 06:38 AM: Message edited by: ronniejoe ]

More Power
10-15-2003, 07:49
Ronnie,

I just want to say thanks for producing this article. New products and new stories about the 6.5 are becoming harder to acquire, and I appreciate any new material that add to our knowledge of these systems.

I don't think anyone here is trying to discourage effort in this area.

Working with the members here and BD, we should be able to come to some sort of final disposition regarding OBDII, and add a postscript to the review once that information has been finalized.

Again, thank you for your efforts, and for a job well done.

MP

rjschoolcraft
10-15-2003, 08:05
MP, thanks for the kind words.

A postscript sounds like a good idea. It sounds like this is what was needed to bring some closure for the OBDII trucks.

Thanks for staying on the 6.5's! ;) I plan to drive mine for a long time yet.

HowieE
10-15-2003, 14:40
ronniejoe

Yes. If I decellerate below 50mph while in OD and forget to switch the Torque Loc off it will set limp mode and a code on reacceleration. To release the limp mode I have to shut off the engine for about 30 sec., a real pain on the interstate. This problem does not happen if I am holding 3rd. gear. I can accelerate and decellerate at will in 3rd and frequently use 3rd for prolonged periods while driving the westen mountains.

You can use the Torque Loc in any gear that you can do 33+mph in. I have used it on steep hills in second gear going up and down the hill. Again the trans temperature decrease while the convertor is locked is significant.

Take a look at my site as noted in my signature and e mail me.

rjschoolcraft
10-15-2003, 19:51
That's cool. I was really asking about your exhaust brake, but I think that I can infer from your comments about the TorqLoc that it, too, may be used in second. BD's ads only mention third and fourth.

Do you downshift when you use the exhaust brake?

moondoggie
10-16-2003, 07:46
Good Day!

OFF SUBJECT: Ron - can you call me at work or email me? I can't seem to make your email or phone number work.

Thanks & Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044