PDA

View Full Version : Adding Tach and CS130 alternator?

rdurh
04-14-2007, 11:33
I am looking seriously into adding a Delco CS130 alternator to my 1979 Jimmy that I am converting to use a 6.2L diesel. I've done this twice now on other vehicles, putting a CS144 on my gasoline powered Scout II and a CS130 on my daughter's diesel Scout II. Based on this experience, I know the particulars about how to set up the wiring to convert from a Delco SI alternator to a Delco CS style alternator. The one thing that I would really like to do with my Jimmy is to add a tachometer using the "P" terminal on the CS130 alternator. I've done a search on this forums for this site and on the internet and all I get is that the P (white wire) can be used for an electrical tachometer feed. The one thing I am not finding is what alternator, or type of alternator, can I use in the Jimmy with a CS130 alternator. Can I use a standard off the shelf tachometer, or do I need an electric diesel alternator? Anyone have any ideas?

Why am I switching from a SI alternator to a CS alternator. I can go from 61 amps to 105 amps with pretty much the same size case. That means that I don't have to do any modification or fabrication to my current alternator brackets. The maximum charge amperage comes in at a much lower alternator shaft RPM. While the CS alternators are much more pricey than the SI alternators I can rebuild them myself a lot cheaper than I can buy them from the auto parts stores, and it is a pretty common alternator in the auto salvage yards.