PDA

View Full Version : K3500 overhaul - good news and bad news + questions

derekja
04-15-2007, 18:31
She starts! And sounds *beautiful*

Timing seemed to be close enough to let her start without messing with the pump position. I bled the fuel filter, but didn't crack injectors - she started up after the third 10 second try, missed on a couple cylinders for about 5-10 seconds and then started purring.

That's the good news. Now for questions and the bad news:

1) coolant leak. This is really, really frusterating. It seems to be coming from a pinhole in the water pump casting itself. This is a brand new Napa Tru-flow water pump. Anybody run into this before? I mean, I've got the receipt and everything and I guess I know how to take that apart now, so I suppose I'll just tear it apart and take it back, but man I didn't want to see that! Do I want to just get them to replace it with another one or give me my money back and get a different brand or something? Here is where it is leaking (you can see the orange - when running there is a decent little trickle there and you can see it come up from a pinhole):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v719/derekja/truck/pumpleak.jpg

2) The fan. I didn't notice this before taking things apart, but the fan runs right from startup. That's not right, is it? Isn't the clutch supposed to prevent it from spinning until it comes up to temperature? Is this something I could have messed up in assembly? I stored it like it said with the clutch facing down. Any idea what might have happened here?

3) oil capacity. The manual said 7 quarts. I put 8 in and it still reads almost quart low. Should this worry me? I didn't give it a chance to fully warm up yet, so I've left it that quart low for right now (I also only got 8 quarts of oil yesterday, so I didn't have anymore...) Oh, also, the auto store didn't have CG-4 grade oil, only CJ-4 which they told me was a backwards compatible update to CG-4. It is labelled for diesels and is not a synthetic (since I'll be changing it in 500 miles anyway). This is right, isn't it?

Thanks,

--Derek

Robyn
04-15-2007, 18:48
Glad to hear you have things under wraps and that the little beastie runs good.
The water pump needs to go back, plain and simple its crap.
The fan is supposed to run all the time it just idles along when the engine is cold without hogging a lot of power.

Should take 7 quarts of oil with the filter
Be sure your dip stick tube is all the way into the pan and that you have the proper dipstick for the pan/ engine combination you have.
Somebody could have changed the stick.

Dello 400 15-40 or Shell Rotella T 15-40 is a good place to be.
The synth stuff is very spendy and Iam not sure its worth the extra $$$$

Hope this helps

WhiteTruck
04-15-2007, 21:31
Robyn is right regarding the dipstick concern. However, when the oil spray was added to the engine, the capacity increased from the 7 quarts used in previous years to 8. You have the correct amount in it.

gmctd
04-16-2007, 09:47
Plus capacity of the oil cooler and lines, if they drained during the long period of the rebuild.

Congrats on your success..............