PDA

View Full Version : Glowing issues with 89" 6,2

Sceolan
04-16-2007, 02:46
Hello.

We are having a lot of issues with our Van, 89" 6,2 Diesel. Our local "workshop" have tried to fix it, but it wont get any better.

So I wonder if any of the books I can order from thedieselpage tell me exactly how the glow system shall work? Where all the wires goes to, etc. Im thinking about replacing all the wires...., but can't do that when I dont know where all the wires goes...

Before the problem was mostly when the engine was warm, but not warm enough to start without glowing. But now its all the time..., and Im wondering now if it is something with the ignition, because often when we turn the ignition off and on several times, actually many many times often, the glow lamp finally turns on.

Sceolan
04-18-2007, 01:15
I just wonder if anyone can have an idea what the problem is when i have to turn my ignition on and off many times over to get the glow system to kick-in...?

Lightyear
04-18-2007, 05:34
My '88 Burb does the same thing to me occasionally. I'm going to replace the glow controller and also check the 'Run' and 'Start' leads coming off the ignition for continuity. Might be a place to start. Good luck!

moondoggie
04-18-2007, 11:05
Good Day!

I doubt we have wiring diagrams available. You could order the factory shop manual (through Helms, who produces these), or join alldatadiy.com, which is cheaper than the Helms manual.

I will assume you've checked all 8 glow plugs; if you haven't, start there.

What is your glow time in the various operating conditions: cold start, start at full operating temp, & in-between? Let us know...

A fully-warmed up 6.2 should start quicker than you can release the key, without a glow cycle. If it doesn't, you've got other issues.

Blessings!

Sceolan
04-19-2007, 01:50
Both Glow controller and the glow plugs have been replaced a couple times during the period we have had this problem. The Glow plugs was tested OK a short time ago.

The leads coming off the ignition..., its one lead from the ignition to the glow controller, isn't it? I did check this lead last time I tried to figure out what was wrong. But Ill check it again..., guess it have to be something with the ignition... Ive got another glow controller to I could try, but that have been tested before.

Maybe I check out the alldatadiy.com..., hmm

Regarding my glow time in the various operating conditions, well, when the engine is cold, it starts just fine after glow light turns off..., don't know how many seconds it glows, but Ill guess its enough. The problem it to get it to glow, I usually have to turn the ignition off and on several times, but when it first "activates", it glows fine.

When its fully warmed, I guess it starts ok without glowing..., but I haven't used the car for a while now, its my father who is driving it, but we will "swap" cars soon, so then I could test a bit more :-).

How many sensors are there in the glow system? Just 2? One behind the air filter and one on the back "corner" of the engine?