PDA

View Full Version : Torsion Bar Keys

etkeeny
04-16-2007, 09:27
Has anybody used a set of these, or something like it to raise the front end level with the rear? I am thinking about putting some larger 19.5" rims and tires on my dually, and was wondering what others here have done.

http://www.readylift.com/products/sfID1/10

Buck
04-17-2007, 01:38
That kit is to expensive!! You can buy "green" torsion bar keys for about $45-$50 a pair. What's diameter tires are you planning on using? You can just turn up the factory keys a bit. Using keys to raise the front is not really a good thing. They really push the tie-rod angles to the limits, upper ball joint will be off to unless you use the Cognito leveling kit. A lot of people do it because it is cheap not because it is the best way to go about raising the truck. Much better off with a real lift kit. Rancho, Tuff Country......

If I ever do it again, I'll either get a real lift or leave the stock t-bar keys in.

kburati
04-17-2007, 11:45
I too believe that the price for that kit is way too much $$$ if it's just keys.

My understanding is that keys alone is not a good solution but Green Keys along with the Cognito kit is a safe way to raise the front end 2" to level the truck. Anything beyond that and a lift kit is needed.

Cognito Leveling kit is $475 and requires the following:
Green Keys: $60
Shocks: $300 (you could get away with just front shocks since the rear height isn't changed but why not replace all OEM junk shocks with good ones.

$835 total without labor

My personal option (if I could afford it) would be the Rancho 4" lift (2.5" rear) kit but that's a couple grand.

Raising the height of the front end with different keys can put too much stress on the front end (someone told me you could collapse the frame).

Raising it an inch with OEM keys may not be too bad, I personally have the front OEM Torsion Bars turned up one full turn and may do a 2nd full turn soon. I have 33" 285/75R16 tires on Alcoa wheels, very slight rub on the rear fender liner at full lock turning to the left on Driver side. I did have to trim the valence under the front bumper too.