PDA

View Full Version : Worn injectors and/or blowby?

coinball
04-17-2007, 15:40
112k miles - original injectors. When cold I get a generous amount of white/gray smoke on startup, even with an extended glow cycle (10-15 second via manual controller). And it runs kinda rough for 30 seconds or so, then purrs fine and the smoke goes away.

I'm pretty sure the 6.5TD's get a decent amout of blowby after my some miles with the 22:1 CR + boost, but I'm beginning to wonder if my rings have seen better days. I know you guys are going to say check the compression, and I plan to do that when I replace the injectors, but right now I'm curious if all the smoke can be attributed to the worn injectors or if I should be planning a re-ring weekend...

BTW - Shell Rotella 5-40 synthetic oil

Side note - I put a new oil pan gasket in this past weekend and noticed my block had 4-bolts mains, were all 6.5TD's 4-bolt mains? I figured they were 2 bolt since there's the splayed main cap kit available for them...

TurboDiverArt
04-17-2007, 16:35
112k miles - original injectors. When cold I get a generous amount of white/gray smoke on startup, even with an extended glow cycle (10-15 second via manual controller). And it runs kinda rough for 30 seconds or so, then purrs fine and the smoke goes away.

I'm pretty sure the 6.5TD's get a decent amout of blowby after my some miles with the 22:1 CR + boost, but I'm beginning to wonder if my rings have seen better days. I know you guys are going to say check the compression, and I plan to do that when I replace the injectors, but right now I'm curious if all the smoke can be attributed to the worn injectors or if I should be planning a re-ring weekend...

BTW - Shell Rotella 5-40 synthetic oil

Side note - I put a new oil pan gasket in this past weekend and noticed my block had 4-bolts mains, were all 6.5TD's 4-bolt mains? I figured they were 2 bolt since there's the splayed main cap kit available for them...
Have you verified all 8 glow plugs are working correctly?

coinball
04-17-2007, 16:43
Negative, I have not verified that. I do know they were all replaced with 60g's recently.

What is the process for verifying that they do indeed work?

DmaxMaverick
04-17-2007, 19:48
Negative, I have not verified that. I do know they were all replaced with 60g's recently.

What is the process for verifying that they do indeed work?

Check them for continuity between the spade and body. If you have an ohm meter, any reading above ~100 ohms will be suspect.

Also, check for air bleeding into the fuel system while it sits, cooling off. The symptoms will be the same. Usual suspect is a recent replaced filter, which hasn't completely sealed. Air leaks in easier than fuel leaks out, so there may not be a sign of external leakage.

coinball
04-18-2007, 16:46
Is it possible for the GP controller/relay to go bad and only energize some of the GP's?

DmaxMaverick
04-18-2007, 17:05
Is it possible for the GP controller/relay to go bad and only energize some of the GP's?

Anything is possible, but the pat answer is no. If the relay goes south, they all quit at the same time.

moondoggie
04-19-2007, 07:20
Good Day!

Sorry - once in awhile, in the face of all the evidence to the contrary, I start thinking I know what I'm talking about. ;)

Blessings!

DmaxMaverick
04-19-2007, 08:35
[quote=moondoggie]Good Day!

[FONT=Verdana]1. Check all glow plugs. [I]

Robyn
04-19-2007, 09:35
All great info here on the glow system.

With the miles you have showing I am going to bet that the injectors are probably not spraying any more and the pop is way down on all of them.

Unscrew a couple on the drivers side cylinders and have them checked
When the engine is warm and idleing remove the oil fill cap and see whats coming out. If you have a large amount of vapor/ smoke then the rings are probably on their way.

If the level of blowby is low then you could be just fine.

With good rings a 6.2/6.5 will have very liitle coming over the top in the way of blowby.
I have a 91 6.2 with 197K on it now and its tired but the blowby is very low.
Just needs injectors/pump and a timing chain.

One of our 94s did exactly what you describe and would cough up enough smoke on a cold morning to kill every mosquito between LA and Newyork City
Give it a couple minutes and it purred like a kitten and still got 17 city MPG and 19 Hwy.
The injectors were toast. I eventually swapped in some decent used ones and this corrected the smoke issue.

My neighbor has a newer Stroke and one day he was by in the morning when I was firing the old Burb off for the first time in about a week during cold weather. The thing sat there and shuddered and shook and smoked things up something aweful before it cleared out.

He commented that "he did not think that was normal" I looked him straight in the eye and with my best stupid Blonde look replied , " Oh you mean they are not supposed to do that? " Then we all laughed ourselves stupid.

The pintle in the injectors gets carboned up and sticks in the bore and will not seat properly and also the little teeny weeny holes in the end that the fuel passes through get plugged or worn and the spring pressure can drop off all resulting in the unit not "Popping" at the right pressure.
About 1900 is 6.5 territory.
The spray pattern is also critical for good starts too. A pee stream off into a corner does not light off good at all.
The things should show a nice fine spray in a cone shaped pattern.

The ones in my old burb had two or three that sort of did that but had 1400 psi and the rest were really low at 8000 and shot streams and dribbles.

The dribbles is bad too as it can lead to burned pistons and excesive EGT as the things keep on dropping fuel in after the burn cycle should be over.

I suspect that as the engine warms the function of the injectors changes some due to the high heat in the chambers but there is no way to really check them hot

Stay away from Ebay injectors. The prices can be inviting but the products range from OK to worthless or less than that.

There was an outfit that was selling used stuff that was somewhat useable and they were just testing them and if they were at all close they cleaned them and put them in a nice little box with red caps on them and called them remans.
HMMMMMMMMMm I dont think so.
Ask me how I know this, yup I got bit by that dog several years ago and never forgot it.

ebay is a fine place but you need to beware on such things as injector pumps and and injectors and such.

Hope this helps some

Robyn

coinball
05-14-2007, 13:15
Update - I just moved to NC today and pulled a 12' Uhaul open trailer with me...truck did great, it wasn't overly slow with the extra 2000+lbs behind it, but I think I put some rings into the pan, or my recently replaced valve cover gasket is worthless; there is blowby coming out of the gasket to head joint and whats seems to be more out of the dipstick tube.

Any clues why this would happen? ...only thing I can think of is the turbomaster is set too high and it ate the rings; but I haven't touched it since I bought the truck...