PDA

View Full Version : Be Leary of the LB7s

MaxACL
04-18-2007, 11:34
I hate to say it as I have always loved my 02 GMC... but I got the bad news this morning. GM will not assist on the warranty because the 200,000 mile injector warranty was an extention. GM will not extend an extension. I had 201,000 when the problems started. Go figure.

I need 8 new injectors (again, this will be the 5th time) and an injector pump and another glow plug relay controller.

$8,100 for the above. 1yr/ 12,000 mile warranty. (They gave me a break from $9,800.)

or... $13,100 for a new LB7 engine. 5(?)yr/ 100,000 warranty. Both are nation wide warranties.

My engine has 208,000 miles on it and except for the knock there are no problems. I wonder if the piston tops are in good shape, plus I know of at least 100 miles with 3 to 5 gallons of fule in the crankcase.

I have a new transfer case, well it's a few years old now, and new clutch, PP and disk. I have money already in it.

I'm leaning toward the new engine but I've already sold one kidney to get the clutch.

This isn't slaming the LB7 but I don't think I would have bought it if I knew then what I know now. It has given me many hours and miles of fun and pleasure, it seems an extension of my family, but...

By the way, the Service rep and shop foreman said the injectors were never upgraded, ever. GM gave it a new part number for apparenlty no reason.

Mike

D-max Man
04-18-2007, 13:05
By the way, the Service rep and shop foreman said the injectors were never upgraded, ever. GM gave it a new part number for apparenlty no reason.

Mike

GM did make a change to the injector bodies. They had an issue with the old injector bodies cracking and upgraded them to prevent this issue. That is why there are some LB7 engines that only have a 100,000 mile warranty on the injectors (Built with upgraded injectors) and some with a 200,000 mile warranty (Built with old injectors).

More Power
04-18-2007, 14:58
Talk to the guys at www.usdieselparts.com (http://www.usdieselparts.com) about a set of LB7 injectors. Way less expensive than GM....

When discussing high-mile or aging diesels, I always encourage people who are either not equipped (knowledge/skills/financial) or not interested in performing their own diesel maintenance to buy an extended warranty. Those who are able to perform their own diesel maintenance can save a lot of money by doing the work themselves. :)

By the way, this advice would apply to any electronic diesel - no matter the brand or engine. Any Duramax, and any 2000+ Powertroke or Cummins would cost an arm & a leg for out of warranty engine/fuel system dealer service. Costs are reduced to about half when doing it yourself.

Jim

Duramaster
04-18-2007, 19:40
Hey MAX! Why do they think that you need a new fuel pump AND injectors????? :eek: :eek: If the tech new anything he/ she would know that proper diagnosis leads to injectors first!!! $8100!!!!! come on. Tell that guy that you know for a fact that GM pays 8 hours for the Injector job (warranty time). And if you bump that by 40 % to adjust for REAL labor time, that's another 3.2 hours. So 11.2 hours times $94 dollars an hour equal $1052.80 for labor for the injectors only! The pump I believe pays 3.5 hours warranty or so. The pump is about 800 bucks!!! pluss a few gasket and seals.

Anyway, you better have them recheck their figures!!!:eek: