PDA

View Full Version : Manual Glow Plug Problem.

BuffaloGuy
10-14-2003, 17:33
As some of you may have read from earlier posts I have installed the resistor in my '93 per More Powers instructions.

Then, still needing more glow time as the weather got colder, I added a relay with a push button on the dash.

The relay works fine and will give me as much glow as needed. The problem is that if I push the relay switch and then turn the key on to cycle the glow plugs, as instucted, the auto glow plug time is very short (maybe 1 or 2 seconds).

What's up? Some how the auto is sensing the manual. How can that be? Am I damaging something? Should I "add" glow time after the auto cycle?
Ken

tanker
10-15-2003, 01:04
Mine is the same way, for a few years. I always push the manual switch to the count of ten, then turn the ignition switch for the normal cycle, then I'm fine. I guess it doen't like anyone messing with its brain! :D

LanduytG
10-15-2003, 02:20
Not sure how guys are adding the relay. If you are switching the whole glow plug circuit or use the OEM relay. What I will be doing shortly is splice into the relay control line with a button. You still get the glow light on the dash and you don't need another relay. I have not had time this summer but I will be having my son in law working on a timer that will automaticaly adjust glow time with temp.

Greg

StephenA
10-15-2003, 05:03
Hey Greg- That son in law's timer sounds great! Will you post the how to?

BuffaloGuy
10-20-2003, 04:12
Well guys I figured it out. Sat. am the truck wouldn't start (first time in 10 years and 205,000m) and I narrowed it down that the glow plugs were the culprit.

After removing one I found it was a 9G and dead! When I paid for the new motor I paid for AC 60'S! Turns out I had 7 9g's and 1 AC 60. All of the 9g's were wet (no good). Only the AC 60 was dry and would get hot.

So here is what happened: When I added glow time manually I fried all the old 9G's and this cut the glow time down. Somehow it must sense bad glow plugs and cut the time back. (anybody know how?)

I installed 8 new AC 60's and it fired right up. Next, I will be calling Avant to give them the opportunity to make it right with me.

Thanks for your responses.
Ken